AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shivvers pros and cons?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

7110mag
Posted 2/15/2010 12:16 (#1075813)
Subject: Shivvers pros and cons?

Owens Cross Roads, AL
I am thinking about adding some kind of corn drying facility. I plant 400-600 acres of corn each year and I have two older 30' bins and one new 42' all in a row. I talked to shivvers at the NFMS about their systems and Sukup about stirrers and heaters to put in one of my bins. The Shivvers looks like a good fit for my limited labor and acres of corn. I can't afford a dryer and wet holding tank set up plus a leg or air system. Putting stirrers and heaters in two bins looks like alot of labor drying and moving corn. Give me your pros or cons because this is a lot of money for me to spend. Wilson
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DIESELDAN74
Posted 2/15/2010 12:27 (#1075827 - in reply to #1075813)
Subject: Re: Shivvers pros and cons?

We have two Sukup stir bins. We have to do a lot of batch drying. Gets labor intensive when moving the grain. I would go with the shivvers. I was at the show to looks like a good setup. No over drying your grain. A big plus is you can be out combining while its moving out the dry grain.

My two cents,

Daniel
Illinois John
Posted 2/15/2010 12:36 (#1075840 - in reply to #1075813)
Subject: RE: Shivvers pros and cons?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I had two shivvers units with computer controls, liked them a lot.  Only drawback I had was speed of drying, but the newer two auger on the floor systems would be a lot faster, I would imagine.  I had a single auger with 4" crossovers to five bins, could dry about 200 bu per hour, a lot when we had two and three row heads.  When we got 6 row heads, I bought a set of bins with another shivvers unit, could fill one, then go to another, worked almost as good as a continuous flow.

Another drawback might be wear and gearboxes under corn going bad, but I never had a problem.  Make sure you maintain gearboxes EXACTLY according to instructions once a year (with your acreage) and you should have no more problems than a continous flow.

I know many will argue with the above statement, they guy who bought my set-up junked it and went to a continous flow, but he had a much larger head, and did not want to ever wait on the dryer.

hagkat
Posted 2/15/2010 12:56 (#1075866 - in reply to #1075813)

Hawesville, KY
I've had one since the 80's. It's in a 24' bin, which was ok back in the day with a 6 row head and 120 corn, but now with a 8 row @ 180 corn I can shell in 4 hrs what it will dry rest of day and all night at 10 points. I think going to a 30' bin will about or more than double that capacity. Also get the Compu-dry computer so you can set and leave for greater effeciency. You might also do search on this forum. There was a similar topic in the fall with a lot of info.
fpr2006
Posted 2/15/2010 13:11 (#1075886 - in reply to #1075866)

SW Minnesota
I have a 30ft dryer bin. from what I have been reading I it sounds like it would be plenty of capacity for me. Do they have a enough safeties that you can walk away from them if you have to go to town or do you have to babysit them?
dri
Posted 2/15/2010 14:14 (#1076001 - in reply to #1075886)

Central Mo

There are enough safety switches built in that you don't have to worry about them.  I run 4 of the older shivvers units in order to keep up with an 8r head in 200 bu corn.  Three of them run most of hte time and the fourth is used on a good day when we put out a lot of corn.

You don't have to babysit them.  When we are dumping we look at them of course, but at night we will check them at 10pm and then at 5-6 am.  The ideal situation for it is if you can have a wet holding bin so the depth of corn can be kept to a minimum in the drying bin.

We have run these for 20 or so years and have only had one gear box problem, it was on a Neco system(same as shivvers)  And we had a piece of flighting come loose on a vertical auger, other than that the mechanics have been fine.

If you end up going with a shivvers put the moisture sensor in the horizontal auger that comes off of the center pole.  There will be a lot less wear on the tube and flighting doing this. 

kelby21
Posted 2/15/2010 13:41 (#1075933 - in reply to #1075813)

NC Iowa
Con

I've heard of people having trouble with the center auger. Usually that happens when the bin is full. Another problem is the accuracy of the sampling unit that test moisture on the fly. Other then that they look like a good unit.
carlton
Posted 2/15/2010 14:03 (#1075977 - in reply to #1075813)

northwest IL Lee Co
If you get one, DO NOT get the vertical auger. Mine dumps out the unload and then I have a 6 inch auger take it to the eve or the bin next to it. From there, I can go to 2 different bins. It takes MUCH less power to do it this way. The system works good, but it does not like wet corn, over 24%. Your bin arrangement is exactly the same as mine. can e-mail pictures if you like.
7110mag
Posted 2/15/2010 14:08 (#1075985 - in reply to #1075977)

Owens Cross Roads, AL
My email is in my profile, send me the pictures. Thanks, Wilson
minnmc
Posted 2/15/2010 15:09 (#1076094 - in reply to #1075985)

west central MN
We have run a Shivvers for 30 years in a 30foot dia. bin. We upgraded it to the circulator two about 20 years ago, which really boosted its capacity. We can dry a max of 650 an hour, dry, with it. The Shivvers Level Dry is what really adds capacity, as it keeps the corn depth constant at wherever you set the height. We run about 30 to 36 inches corn depth, unless the corn is under 19-20 percent we will add more. As the previous posts mentioned it is best to use a holding bin and a Cal-cu-dry or some other controller if you want an easy trouble free system. With these things you can let it be other than double checking your discharge moisture a few times a day. They are a good system but we have outgrown ours. We started drying 600 acres but now dry 1700 acres with it, so we recently bought a Grain Handler dryer and air system. Therefore , we will be selling our Shivvers equipment. After pricing the new equipment, it makes me really appreciate what that shivvers did all these years for the cost per bushel invested! Another benefit to the Shivvers is added test weight and quality. We usually saw about 1-2 lbs.
RYAN Farms
Posted 2/15/2010 15:53 (#1076151 - in reply to #1076094)

SW MN
You ever have any problems with the shivvers level dry? Easy to use? I take it you liked it?
minnmc
Posted 2/15/2010 16:42 (#1076226 - in reply to #1076151)

west central MN
Yes, we have loved it. Sure beats getting in to shovel what the original spreader wouldn't do, once a day. Having an even depth also reuslted in a more consistant moisture coming out. As far as trouble we haven't had a bit of it, just change the gear box oil and grease two zerks on the level dry.
trouble
Posted 2/15/2010 16:49 (#1076233 - in reply to #1076094)

Britton, SD
What you doing with your old shivvers system? If you sell it might be interested in it if price is right would like to up grade my older shivvers system to two auger and level system. The system works good but can be slow but at least I don't have to babyset it. Small augers can be expensive to replace as well. We went to bumping in one of two cooling bins and then moving it so doesn't get so brokeup. Corn has always been better quality then that out of the dryer system.
minnmc
Posted 2/15/2010 17:40 (#1076321 - in reply to #1076233)

west central MN
I think we'll be selling it as it won't work to keep it fucntional and still use those bins for new system. We have three 13 hp single phase burners , the level dry, circulator Two , and 2 unload augers leaving the dryer as well as 5 other,6 inch roof augers of various lengths. Also probobly selling the calc-u-dry as we're told it won't work on the new dryer. We're located in w.c. MN. Have not checked to see what its all worth as trade value.
560r
Posted 2/15/2010 19:06 (#1076464 - in reply to #1076321)
Subject: RE: Shivvers pros and cons? minnmc

wi
minnmc send me an email to [email protected]
trouble
Posted 2/15/2010 21:43 (#1076906 - in reply to #1076321)

Britton, SD
Not to far from you in NE SD would be interested in some of it my email is pfi at venturecomm dot net. Guessing your dealer might have been hadley steel they would likely give idea of value.
JFlash
Posted 10/28/2010 20:54 (#1412227 - in reply to #1076094)

Why are you going with a grain handeler dryer
citoriskeet
Posted 2/15/2010 15:15 (#1076103 - in reply to #1075813)

Central, IL
I priced one last week and was not ready for the price quoted. The Shivers unit was going to be more than the new bin to put it in. Not sure if right now it would show a good return on investnment for my operation.
oldbones
Posted 2/15/2010 16:41 (#1076223 - in reply to #1075813)

Floyd County, Iowa
I used to use a Shivvers system, but it was an older unit. It was SLOW. I ran the plenum temp at 145. I got tired of waiting on it when we combined anything over 18%. Could only get 100 +/- bu/hr out of it. Only had two 24' bins. Dried in the Shivvers and transferred to the other one. When that bin got full, could only dry the Shivvers bin to half full, then ran out of fan power.
It was going to cost a fortune to upgrade the Shivvers, so I yanked the center out, got rid of the burner & fan, put on a 18" fan for cooling, and bought a Farm Fans continuous flow dryer. Best thing I ever did (concerning the drying set-up, that is).
Just my opinion.
BLTFARMS
Posted 2/15/2010 16:52 (#1076237 - in reply to #1076223)

Elizabethtown, ky
I have a 27ft diamater shivver bin that we have had for about 5 years. the only problem i have had out of it is the moisture sensor. this fall it was varying buy 2-3 points. the sensor in the middle needed to be changed and we finally got one the last day we ran corn. Not beacuse our dealer couldnt find one, it just took that long to realize that was our problem. however our dealer did say we got the last one, and that he has had to replace several of them this year. other than that everything else works just fine. I would reccomend you get the 2 auger system with 2 fans if you have anything bigger than a 6row head.
TRT Farms
Posted 2/15/2010 22:35 (#1077036 - in reply to #1076237)

We have one with the comp-u-dri and we love it. We only have one sweep with 4 inch transfer, can be a little slow at times but we get by. When we update we will put in the double sweep and add a second burner with the turbo on it.  Very trouble free and very user friendly.  Every load out of the shivvers has been between 14.5 and 15.2 going to town.
tbulldozer
Posted 10/28/2010 21:40 (#1412348 - in reply to #1075813)

Darke County, Ohio
We have 36 ft. shivers, center vertical unload, Double augers, Comp-udry 2. One drying fan with one turbo booster fan in front of it. Last year dried just short of 200,000 bu of wet corn. Love the thing. Set it and walk away. We let it run all night with out checking it. Never had any problems. Great system.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)