AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LP forklift hard to start?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 2/8/2010 14:17 (#1064440 - in reply to #1064322)
Subject: RE: Would an electronic ignition conversion also help those engines?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Mike SE IL - 2/9/2010 11:55

tim42163 - Would an electronic ignition conversion also help those engines?
We're quickly getting past my experience.  I would say yes, electronic is always better than points, but...  The "but" is, as I understand it the timing needs to be set slightly differently than on gasoline. I don't know if it is distributor timing, spark advance, or just what.  I just remember being told there was an ignition mod usually needed.

I can't address how it was different because I never got into that aspect of it. If it got to that point I was out of Band-Aids and we sent the patient off to a mechanic.  I remember being told this is why when converting a computerized engine you have to put in a box that converts what is really happening to what the computer wants to see.

Hot Electronic ignition is a definate plus to a propane fueled engine. Standard for point ignition was to gap the plugs at only .015 and you needed to change them at not many hours if you wanted it to start / run good.
When I converted my 454 Chevy repowered Oliver tractors from point ignition to hot HEI electronic ignition, I can now run the plugs at .035 and not change them for years. Starts much better too.
I have two pickups and the two Olivers on propane, All have electronic ignition and will start down to - 15 If I need to start them at a colder temp, I plug in the engine heater. I have started the tractors at more than - 20 without plugging in by giving them just a sniff of starting fluid in the air intake.
It seems that if you get one or two cylinders to pop on starting fluid, then it will run on propane.
As Mike stated, let them idle dead slow until the coolant warms a little, otherwise the vaporizer will freeze and you get no vapor to run the engine.

A stiff aged secondary diaphram in the vaporizer, or oily sludge in the vaporizer or blocking the vapor hose is the most likely cause of a hard cold starting lp engine.

Make sure the mechanical or electric primer works if your rig has one. Their fairly cheap to add if yours does not.

The type of propane carb also determines the best cold start procedure.
The IMPCO air valve carbs start best at open throttle, a century venturi type carb starts easier at slow idle throttle position.
Propane engines usually run a little more initial and total ignition advance than the same engine running on gasoline, because propane burns a little slower than gas.

Edited by Jon Hagen 2/8/2010 14:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)