AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer Stuffer or H Bunk Feeder ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dollorbill
Posted 2/4/2010 13:11 (#1057494)
Subject: Steer Stuffer or H Bunk Feeder ?

Davis, MI
Changing some things around here, we use to feed all our animals in the old cow barn, but it's getting replaced by a new pole barn, so am looking at either a steer stuffer or an H bank to feed out of. I don't have any experiance with either one so any idea's good or bad would be a great help. Thanks Bill.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
deere240
Posted 2/4/2010 17:12 (#1057759 - in reply to #1057494)
Subject: Re: Steer Stuffer or H Bunk Feeder ?

West Central WI
What type of cattle are you feeding bill? I have a farm star steer stuffer with panels (creep feeder) I feed my calves with in the summer. Really like it. If you are feeding dry feed to steers it would work good (w/out panels), but if its more like silage a bunk would work great. I use feeder wagons for my cows and heifers. The feeder cattle eat from a bunk, but they get mostly corn silage.
dollorbill
Posted 2/4/2010 17:52 (#1057817 - in reply to #1057759)

Davis, MI
Feeders is all i have now, dry feed is all i will be using. May be a dumb qusetion but how much feed will one hold, and how many can feed out of it a day.(steer stuffer that is) No one around here uses them, i've only seen pic's on internet. I'm assuming it can stay outside all the time ? Seeing as how were tearing down the old cow barn that had a 45' feed trough that we feed out of i don't want to have to put a corner box stall in the new pole barn. Any other options? Thanks Bill
hinfarm
Posted 2/4/2010 19:06 (#1057933 - in reply to #1057817)

Amherst WI
The steer stuffer is a huge labor saver. I have had up to 20 steers on mine at a time. I have the 100 bushel smidley stuffer. I always ask the neighbor who has a couple stuffer two if his steers are fed, then he replys wait.....oh yeah that's right the co-op dropped feed off 10 days ago, so yeah their fed.
bellyacre
Posted 2/4/2010 19:28 (#1057965 - in reply to #1057494)
Subject: RE: Steer Stuffer or H Bunk Feeder ?

SWMN
Google "steer stuffer" has specs on there 50hd on 10 footer
4MSU
Posted 2/4/2010 20:41 (#1058126 - in reply to #1057494)

Here you go http://www.marting.com/products/stuffer.html

50 head for 100 bu 75 head for 150 bu. Are you feeding holsteins or colored cattle? I have been playing with the idea of steer stuffers for holsteins. Never heard of using them for beef cattle but maybe you can. I am leaning towards high moisture corn ddgs and a little silage for roughage so the stuffer will be out. Although the idea of not having to feed them every day sounds good.
olderthandirt
Posted 2/4/2010 21:17 (#1058192 - in reply to #1057494)

I use both.Both have advantages. The H bunk will have to be inside. If you get it to full they will spill some. I would not get a smidly. Cheaply built and high maintnance.Get one from Dutchmans repair in Carson city. They are all galvanised. I have one and want more should sell my smidlys but havent yet. Stuffers are nice. feed stays dry just fill and check. Its nice when a batch of bad weather is coming you can fill and wait it out dont have to feed every day  unless have lots of cattle on one.Personally I think they grow faster on H bunk but cant prove.
hinfarm
Posted 2/4/2010 21:27 (#1058215 - in reply to #1058192)

Amherst WI
I don't know how you can say Smidley's are cheaply built. I know of at least a dozen of them that are 20 years old+ and are still being used. If they do get busted up Smidley will pick them up from the farm and rebuild them, then bring them back.
olderthandirt
Posted 2/4/2010 21:39 (#1058240 - in reply to #1058215)

Seems like all I do is repair mine. Mice chew holes in them. Cattle chew on them. The floors have rotted out of them. Parts of some have rooted away. But yea they are outside and around manure alot. One of mine is close to 20 yrs old to ,guess will see how the dutchman is in 15 more years. Holsteins are hard on stuff.Never heard of thier rebuild program it would be nice but dont see them doing it for free.
Paul(WI)
Posted 2/5/2010 16:37 (#1059725 - in reply to #1057933)

We have a Pax steer stuffer. This would be a round model that looks like a small feed bin. I'm sure its a least 20 yrs old and have replaced the bottom trough once. Have had up to 50 hd on it at one time. Only problem we have is when we get an extended cold snap, their drool and slobber can ice up the opening. Then you hope for a warm spell or do a little chipping.
KDD
Posted 2/6/2010 19:54 (#1061672 - in reply to #1057494)

Leesburg, Ohio
We've had two Smidley's here in my lifetime...one from the 1950's until the 80's, and then replaced it with the one we have now. Usually feed around 35 to 50 head. Start them out feeding daily by hand in a bunk, increasing feed until they start leaving some in the bunk, them immediately fill the stuffer. Always keep some grass or mixed hay (not too much clover or alfalfa) in front of them. I grind shelled corn and pelleted supplement for the feeder. Watch for bloat. I like feeding corn silage, but old equipment made it not worthwhile for 40 head.
Curious
Posted 2/12/2010 15:40 (#1071651 - in reply to #1057494)

NW IA
I don't have a steer stuffer but am also considering it. Mr. Olderthandirt's concern about critters wrecking them might be avoided by ordering what I believe they called the "Holstein" package where they cover certain areas with stainless sheeting, not free either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)