AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

240V extension cord connectors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

willvr
Posted 1/31/2010 23:39 (#1051965)
Subject: 240V extension cord connectors

Bow Island, Alberta
I've got some extension cords for 240 V water pumps and aeration fans that all have these connections. Every year I have to replace a few that get wet, hot or otherwise don't look good anymore.

I looked in a farm supply store for a better connector, maybe a twist lock, and was surprised to find out how many different choices there were. I'd have to change all 12 receptacles at different locations, the ends on 4 extension cords and the ends on 6 motors, for a total of 26. The 50 amp "welding plug" seemed as cheap as any, but then I can't put 2 inside a receptacle box, so would have to add extra boxes at each of my 6 pole locations.

What are your suggestions?

(plug0001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments plug0001.jpg (38KB - 169 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wildcat1000
Posted 2/1/2010 03:30 (#1052091 - in reply to #1051965)
Subject: Re: 240V extension cord connectors

C IL
Seems like there are different plugs for each amperage any more. Maybe you can find a common plug / receptacle set that works for the highest amperage and the weather conditions you have and then you won't have any trouble in the future.
hillfarmer
Posted 2/1/2010 07:02 (#1052143 - in reply to #1052091)

I put those on my sweep auger cord

then found out those are rated at 15 amps

the ones with "one" prone turned are 20 amp

I don't think the pins know the difference

and why did not the one with one pin turned end up at 15

and the one with two pins turned end up at 20 !!!

I think the "made in china" molded ends in the cold
are good to 5 amps
shepard
Posted 2/1/2010 07:46 (#1052177 - in reply to #1051965)

North Central Ohio
not a plug rec,but what i've found was to put a breaker in at the plug so you don't plug in hot,i did that to some of mine and it makes the connectors last alot longer.
casemanwcoh
Posted 2/1/2010 07:50 (#1052180 - in reply to #1051965)

We use the three pronged dryer outlets on all of our fans and motors. I think they are rated at 50 amps. The ends are not very expensive. I think we've made 4 50' and 2 100' extension cords to run stuff on.
E718
Posted 2/1/2010 08:16 (#1052204 - in reply to #1051965)

Sac & Story county IA
Those are called NEMA 6 15. A check on ebay lists 29 lots for sale.
http://business.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=NEMA+6+30&_sacat=...
That plug has been cooked. The receptacle will be the same.
GangGreen
Posted 2/1/2010 20:03 (#1053176 - in reply to #1052204)

Eastern Iowa
718 is right, I would change the receptacle as well.

Here's a source for plug-ins and sockets you maybe haven't tried: Farmtek. Good website for browsing, they will send you their complete print catalog for free, and are very helpful at getting the right thing when you call in. They have lots of the odd stuff you don't always find.

The Iowa warehouse/retail center isn't far from here, and when I have been there I have noticed they try and have one of every item listed in the catalog available so that a sales associate can go grab it to make sure it is matching up with what you are looking for. That comes in handy when you are going to buy something you've never seen except in a catalog and wonder if it's going to work with whatever you have on your end of the phone!

My dad had a clever idea once when bothered with electrical fixtures not suited for the environment where they were being used. We had electrical switch/fuse boxes on the feed system in a hog barn that were prone to failing, due to the corrosive environment. Back then, the sealed boxes were very expensive (they still are) and it was a situation where we didn't want to have to remove screws to access the switch/fuse combination box that we had in mind. We had the electrician mount them instead inside a rubbermaid kitchen container on the wall and seal the conduit hole with caulk, then put the lid on. The container probably cost less than $3.00, and that galvanized switchbox looks good as new 19 years later whenever we have to open the lid to use the shutoff, or check the feed line fuse. Probably cost 1/10th of what just a sealed box would have. The electrician still does some that way, in some circumstances.

Edited by GangGreen 2/1/2010 20:24
ChrisTN
Posted 2/1/2010 08:48 (#1052247 - in reply to #1051965)

Ethridge, TN
<p>I would honestly look at changing everything over the twist locks. See what your highest draw is, and then choose the next size higher than that. Remember, the more length you are coupling together, the more resistance you are adding. The twist locks have heavier, bigger, prongs on them. I don't mind welder plugs on the welder and that stuff where it's inside, but I've had enough problems with them on the outside to not want them around a bin site. Plus, seems on the cords, the receptical ends with a welder style plug were always getting busted up. The twist lock ends seem to have a better survival rate.</p><p>Just about forgot, get the LARGE cord ends, not the smaller ones that are about as big as what you have. I can't manage to remember the NEMA# for the ones I use, but they are actually a 3 prong 3ph end. The smaller versions are not much better than you already have.  <br /></p>

Edited by ChrisTN 2/1/2010 08:57
sdPete
Posted 2/1/2010 09:11 (#1052274 - in reply to #1051965)
Subject: RE: 240V extension cord connectors

Beresford SD
A plug like that usually means the other half has problems, too.  Grainger sells a weatherproof version for 45 bucks, maybe you would be just as happy to replace a few cheaper ones now and then, figure out your own way to keep them dry.
KDD
Posted 2/1/2010 10:10 (#1052359 - in reply to #1051965)

Leesburg, Ohio
There are literally about a million different style plugs, so pick one that's easy to find at different stores. There are many that look identical at first glance, but they won't interchange. We use all L6-30 twist-locks on all our bin equipment. Instead of receptacle boxes for female receptacles, I have started replacing them with female cord plug ends and cords coming out of the breaker panels where we plug in. The female ends are more expensive than the female receptacles, but by the time you add a weatherproof box, conduit, and time to install or replace it all, the cord and plug is cheaper and alot easier to change out...neither one is going to last forever. Welder/dryer plugs will be rated higher than an L6-30, but they break easily.
Dvr
Posted 2/1/2010 10:21 (#1052377 - in reply to #1052359)

Edgerton MN
We have had trouble with the welder plastic female ends breaking also. So we have been buying the female part only and putting it in a 4x4 metal conduit box with the proper round hole cover to fit the electric fitting. Run the 6-3 cord thru the box and attach with a screw clamp connector so the wires don't get pulled out of the recptacle. This has been working out well for us.
Herbie56
Posted 2/1/2010 10:41 (#1052405 - in reply to #1052377)

Coles County, Illinois
Can you eliminate the plugs completely?If you're using them as a switch you're going to have problems.
WTW
Posted 2/1/2010 11:07 (#1052440 - in reply to #1052405)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
I have decided just to use the 50 amp welder plugs. You can actually get a female cord end that will take some abuse. At the bin sites I have several locations where I have installed the electrical panel and plug ins in a homemade weather proof box with an open bottom. Keeps everything dry and cords can feed up to the receptacles.

(IMGP0278.jpg)

(IMGP0280.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP0278.jpg (46KB - 141 downloads)
Attachments IMGP0280.jpg (49KB - 152 downloads)
Smoothlander
Posted 2/1/2010 11:11 (#1052444 - in reply to #1052440)

Very nice WTW.
shepard
Posted 2/1/2010 12:43 (#1052582 - in reply to #1052405)

North Central Ohio
thats what i was trying to say. i think you said it better.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)