AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas Engine Driven Welder Generators
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon
Posted 1/28/2010 22:05 (#1046823)
Subject: Gas Engine Driven Welder Generators

Callao Missouri
I have an old miller welder generator with a Tecumseh sp? engine. The engine has problems is it possible to take the engine off and attach a Honda engine to the welder generator?

Next question what is the difference between Hobart welder generators and Miller welder generators? Price I can see the Hobart is a little cheaper but they both look kinda identical in physical appearance. Thanks Jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Canadianfarmboy
Posted 1/28/2010 22:32 (#1046893 - in reply to #1046823)
Subject: Re: Gas Engine Driven Welder Generators

East Central Saskatchewan
I once had a gas driven welder with a twin cylinder Onan, that broke a connecting rod. I had to get a steady bearing mount made up to hold the end of the generator in place and then I drove it with a 16hp kohler. It worked for a few more years and then the welder shorted out and died so I salvaged the engine and sold it and scrapped the rest. I don't like to invest a lot in a gas drive welder but I wouldn't want to be with out one. I now have a Lincoln "Weldinator", probably as old as I am, but this some it did some serious air-arcing and worked like a charm all day.
dnkag
Posted 1/28/2010 22:36 (#1046904 - in reply to #1046893)

Lantry, SD
All I can say is that I bought a Kohler powered Hobart welder two days before Christmas and now I have 200hrs on it due to not having electricity for the past week. My best purchase in a while....
seedcleaner
Posted 1/28/2010 22:57 (#1046950 - in reply to #1046823)

Mid-Missouri
Hey Jon. If you come across any Kawasaki V-twin engines, they are great imo. Deere used them in lawn mowers and other items. I got one from a local store and put it on our belt conveyor. Very good engine. You probably need a horizontal shaft, and they cost more. We have an old old lincoln pipeliner and that is about the best I have ever used. That thing can flat out weld. Very good unit with a simple wisconsin engine if my memory serves correct. Have to be careful not to run ac items on its old dc outlet thought. Take care.
Bill Moyer
Posted 1/29/2010 07:55 (#1047260 - in reply to #1046950)

Coldwater, Michigan
The early Kawasaki's in the Deere Lawn Mowers often had problems. Ruined engines caused by plastic gear on the oil pump. Can you imagine? Later ones are much better.

Doug W
Posted 1/29/2010 07:26 (#1047234 - in reply to #1046823)
Subject: RE: Gas Engine Driven Welder Generators

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Had similar situation last year....Long story short, had a chance to sell the Miller with the Tecumseh & picked up the new style Lincoln "Outback welder - seemed to offer a few advantages over the Miller equivalent for the money...

Worked out really well for us - used to have both welder and small generator in service bus - Lincoln replaces both - auto idle on Lincoln is very nice feature - 5 gal fuel tank nice - & DC welder was big step up from the AC on the Miller...
Would've been nice to get a Honda instead of the Kohler on the Outback - but so far haven't had a problem with the Kohler - generator gets used almost every day when we're in the field...

HTH

Doug W.
Lizton farmer
Posted 1/29/2010 08:24 (#1047300 - in reply to #1046823)

lizton IN
Miller makes Hobart welders. The Hobart is cheaper because they put in more plastic parts. I have a Miller bobcat and when you need it they are great. Lincoln are good welders also. I would think you could triad engines.
CJDave
Posted 1/30/2010 10:17 (#1049053 - in reply to #1046823)
Subject: RE: Gas Engine Driven Welder Generators

Southeast Iowa
Jon... I have a Miller Roughneck welder with a good engine but the welder won't weld or generate. I can ask the owner of the welder if he wants to do some trading. This machine is kind of underfoot and needs to go somewhere. SE Iowa.
cutncrop
Posted 1/30/2010 10:24 (#1049061 - in reply to #1049053)

Clarksdale Delta Dixieland
I have a Generac with a 20 horse Honda. Used it in ice storm last year for 2 weeks straight and it has been my service welder/generator for the past year. 10,000 watt and it has been a perfect machine. Gave 3200 for it. Wouldn't have anything without a honda motor on it.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)