AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

handling round bales with a skid steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Angus in ncmo
Posted 1/13/2010 21:38 (#1021300 - in reply to #1021246)
Subject: RE: handling round bales with a skid steer

I think the grapple bucket will put the weight far enough farther forward you won't be satisfied with the abilities of your machine.  Yes it would be nice to have the extra reach when loading or unloading the opposite side of a flatbed trailer, but I think you'll regret that extra reach more often than not in all around (bale handling) use, and 2 bales will be out of the question in an out-front position.

eta:  also, it's been pointed out here that piling hay with a grapple will 'poke' holes in the bales which in turn funnel water into the bale if stored outside.

I built an all purpose spike / receiver hitch / gooseneck hitch.  This allows me to move about anything around 'here' that I can get hooked up to.    I remove the bale spikes when I'm not handling bales so that they don't interfere with hitches or jacks on things I'm moving. 

I've used this spike to carry 2 - 57" tall x 60" wide alfalfa haylage bales with no problems and routinely carry 2 full size dry hay bales with it -- no problems. Just have to use a little common sense and not 'rock the boat' too hard in rough ground or you end up on your nose.

Edited by Angus in ncmo 1/13/2010 21:57

(shop photos 022.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments shop photos 022.jpg (95KB - 837 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)