AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to make "oliebollen"!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dutch
Posted 12/31/2009 15:58 (#995493)
Subject: Time to make "oliebollen"!!

West Texas

I've got it rising in the 'right' spot in the house. In about an hr or so I'll start to fry them.

I follow my families recipe. 

From Google:

"At the end of the year, people in the Netherlands start baking a traditional New Year’s Eve recipe.The deep-fried balls of dough, affectionately known here as 'oliebollen', have been a traditional end of year delicacy for centuries.

But they're not to everbody's taste.

Legend has it that 'oliebollen' (literally oil balls), the stodgy predecessor of the doughnut helped the Dutch survive the cold winter months. In recent years, the tradition has turned into a craze. Once upon a time, every family had its own recipe. But fewer and fewer people can stand the smell of fat or have enough time to make the dough. It is a difficult recipe to follow, Dutch oliebol makers can endlessly discuss the temperature of the milk and eggs, how much yeast to use and which spot in the house is the best place to let the dough rise.

Nowadays, professional bakeries have largely taken over the task. You can place your New Year’s Eve order at the baker’s, supermarket and increasingly at ‘oliebol’ stalls on the street. For a number of years, daily paper AD has published the results of a national ‘oliebol’ test in the last week of the year. Everyone looks forward to it. The winner can expect a huge increase in its turnover. And the losers are publicly humiliated, often with nasty comments, like “pigs wouldn’t touch it” or “this is not an ‘oliebol’, this is a vomit ball".

For the Dutch connoisseurs: the best 'oliebollen' according to AD are to be found in the port of Rotterdam, the worst in the University city of Leiden.

1. Dutch 'oliebollen'

Ingredients:
* 500 grams of flour
* 1 teaspoon of salt
* 30 grams of fresh yeast (or an sachet of dry yeast. Follow the instructions on the packet)
* 4.5 dl luke warm milk
* 1 teaspoon of sugar
* 1 egg
* Deep-fry pan with oil

And raisins!! About a cup or so.

Preparation:
Mix the yeast in half of the milk and stir in the sugar. Place the yeast and milk mixture in a warm place until bubbles form on the surface. Sieve the flour with the salt into a mixing bowl. Make a hollow in the flour, and pour in the yeast and milk mixture. Use a mixer to carefully stir the yeast through the flour until you have a smooth dough. Beat the egg and the rest of the milk into the mixture. Place a clean moist cloth over the bowl and allow the dough to rise for around one hour in a warm place.

Deep fry:
Heat the fat in the deep-fry pan to 170 degrees Celsius. Note: if the oil is too hot the ‘oliebollen’ become too hard.

Take two large spoons and cover them lightly with oil. Scoop a spoonful of dough from the bowl and hold it above the hot fat. Use the second spoon to slide the dough into the fat. Do not fry more than six to eight balls of dough in the fat at the same time and wait until they have turned golden brown. Once they have turned right colour after around 8 minutes, use a strainer spoon to fish them out. Allow the fat to drip off in a sieve, and deep fry six to eight more balls of dough. Taste one now and then to make sure they are baked thoroughly inside. If not, deep fry the next batch for a little longer. If the ‘oliebollen’ are golden brown on the outside, but the dough is still wet inside, the oil is too hot.

Serve with a dusting of icing sugar."

Lots of powdered sugar!! Also when preparing the 'dough' it has to have both beer in the recipe and in the person doing the work!!

Happy New Year!!

I added that they need raisins too!

Edited by dutch 1/1/2010 13:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page
martin
Posted 12/31/2009 20:40 (#995986 - in reply to #995493)
Subject: RE: Time to make "oliebollen"!!

sounds a bit like donuts, but made in balls.  Would that be right?

Of course, when my mom made donuts (actually "fauschnuts",  she made them with "potato flour" .)

dutch
Posted 12/31/2009 21:08 (#996038 - in reply to #995986)
Subject: Re: Time to make "oliebollen"!!

West Texas
Yeah, that would be close but they don't taste much like donuts.
amsunshine
Posted 12/31/2009 23:07 (#996183 - in reply to #995493)

Blooming where I am planted!

Yup, here is the pan.  I have a cast iron one that looks the same as this, but the reviews have me thinking about this nonstick one!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fTke9Hp7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3113-Ebelskiver-Pan/dp/B000ZUAFL4&usg=__ptthsEoV5opTjbPnMotsj_mdHZA=&h=280&w=280&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=Z1mtvZvSUPIAxM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Debelskiver%2Bpan%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

(Ebelskiver Pan.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ebelskiver Pan.jpg (9KB - 271 downloads)
bellyacre
Posted 1/2/2010 22:37 (#1000036 - in reply to #996183)

SWMN
The "Danish Folks " around here call that an "Ableskiver pan". A Danish pancake.
They have an annual weekend celebration honoring that tradition.
phranny
Posted 1/1/2010 00:49 (#996292 - in reply to #995493)

MW ON
It's been a few years since we've had them, but they were good! I chuckled when I read to serve them with a dusting of icing sugar. To get the full benefit, we would dunk them in icing sugar. They only taste good when they are fresh.
Happy New Year Dutch!
dutch
Posted 1/1/2010 01:15 (#996306 - in reply to #995493)

West Texas
Yes, they like to tumble!!

Ours have raisins but no apples. Lot of people add apples to them and while I like it, my wife and kids don't care for the apple in them.

Our grease got a little too warm so they got pretty dark before being done. But they taste great!
ratlakefarms
Posted 1/1/2010 12:58 (#996895 - in reply to #995493)

La Glace Alberta Canada
mom made them yesterday had them last night when we went to her house. Man were they good!!!!!!
Mad Max Perf
Posted 1/1/2010 13:18 (#996922 - in reply to #996895)

North Western Alberta
My wifes family makes them every year. They put raisins in them though ( Yeck) Stan, you wooden shoes, wooden head wooden listen bugger!! Where was my invite!!! LOL Happy New Year buddy.
JasoninMN
Posted 1/1/2010 17:20 (#997313 - in reply to #995493)

I think I've learned more about Dutch cooking here than anywhere else. Keep the recipes coming.
dutch
Posted 1/1/2010 17:58 (#997394 - in reply to #997313)

West Texas
Wife just got done making 'advocaat'. Dutch eggnog.

Eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar (from Holland) and Dutch Firewater. (Jenever, from Holland) all mixed together, heated inside a pan of boiling water in a special tube with mixing thing.

She calls it pudding with a kick! It has a kick allright!!

You eat it out of a shotglass with a spoon. Has to have a little dab of whip cream on top. It's really considered a lady type 'drink' but nothing wrong with men consuming it either.

We'll be seeing some Dutch friends on Sunday and she always gets asked to bring some.
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 1/2/2010 00:51 (#998145 - in reply to #995493)
Subject: And now, the rest of the story.........................

Nevada, Iowa
Not to be out done, I believe that folklore tells of the Norwegian version of this treat being much larger. If there were any leftovers and any survivors, they would set up a game with long wooden runways with wooden pins at the end of them. They hearty Scandinavians would then proceed to hurl the dough balls at the pins. Of course they named it "Ole bowling". Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am Scandinavian, if that helps. It's OK to poke fun at yourself, ain't it?
amsunshine
Posted 1/3/2010 22:35 (#1001493 - in reply to #995493)
Subject: Warning!!! This will make you drool on your computer!!!!!

Blooming where I am planted!
Otherwise known as the Dutch way to get a buddha belly.  These are the ollie bollen that Joel and I made on New Year's Eve, just a few days ago. 

Edited by amsunshine 1/3/2010 22:36

(Olie Bollen 2010.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Olie Bollen 2010.JPG (34KB - 152 downloads)
dutch
Posted 1/3/2010 23:27 (#1001607 - in reply to #1001493)
Subject: RE: Warning!!! This will make you drool on your computer!!!!!

West Texas

They look good!! Did you mix it up by hand? You have to 'hit' it just right to get them nice and airy.

Here's a picture of mine from a few years ago. 

Fried in peanut oil. 

plowgirl
Posted 1/4/2010 19:47 (#1002773 - in reply to #1001607)
Subject: RE: Warning!!! This will make you drool on your computer!!!!!

next to Plowboy
YUM!  I'm thinking that maybe I need to start cooking from the Dutch side of my heritage!  (minus the raisins!)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)