AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Detroit 12.7 pulling ability?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ND_farmer
Posted 12/2/2009 23:49 (#947646)
Subject: Detroit 12.7 pulling ability?

SW North Dakota
Ok we bought a 2000 daycab freightliner semi with a 12.7 detroit 430/500hp and 530000 miles. I used alot of your guys input on this site (with the search option) in my decicion to go with the detroit so I know its a good motor. I got a chance to get behind the wheel yesterday with a 80,000lb load. It really doesnt feel like the truck makes the kind of hp the engine tag shows. It slows down from 65 to 55 on long hills and doesnt have much for torque.(which i read is common) This thing is a dog until around 1400 rpm then it just pulls great. I am curious to why it doesnt hold its own on the road though. The rpm is 1500-1600 when at cruising speed so I would think it is right in the powerband. We have two tandem axle trucks. One with a 350hp 3406(610K miles) and the other a 400hp cummins and they only slow down when u let off the gas. Granted they only haul about 60000 fully loaded. This is our first semi with trailer so maybe its completely acceptable. Do most peoples semis pull down climbing longer hills? I was reading on this site that the 430/500 means 430hp on the pedal and 500hp with the cruise set. Is this correct? And can the motor be set up different to pull better? Thanks alot!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)