AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My corn harvest. With some pictures.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 00:15 (#898850)
Subject: My corn harvest. With some pictures.

Hi all. Today turned out to be a beautiful day with sun and slight breeze. Finally got to shell some corn. You have no idea how wierd that is to say being a complete green horn at growing grain corn.Smile Several days........or weeks ago, I had the corn down to high 16% moisture. Then......it rained.Frown And it rained some more.Cry So now the moisture in some areas was 18 annahaff. I'll sample some that is sitting on the combine tomorrow and see what it says.

Just to share a bit of my harvest with you since you all share yours with me, here's a few pics to go with my first ever experience "shelling corn".

Using my super secret CIH20'10108r30 prototype/experimental header, I started in. Sure is sorta tough on those plastic fingers aint it.

Kind of cool to see that. Never had corn in the unload auger before.

Even had to get another truck to dump into. Dust actually flew today.

Making progress and the sun just kept getting brighter. Life is grand.

Once again, completely new sight to behold. I'll have to wait till I'm done, as I still have 7 acres to do, but it is a different variety and I have no room to keep it seperate, but just figger'n as close as I can from measurements, I think I'm getting about 170bpa even with all the loss from the header. I was planning on a complete failure and getting about 80bpa or so. This was a pleasant supprise.

This is what I get in the tank.

I set the camera on macro and took this pic of that same pile. Does this look ok?

Empty rotor is about 420 and running about 380 loaded. Sometimes 340 or lower when the header collects a bunch on the very end and sends it through.

This is about all the ol' paddle fan can do.

It's a bit slow going taking in 3-4' of stalk and the leaves that go with it along with all the husks. But later as the day warmed, I was able to get 2.4 out of it.

No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. That is a corn combine with R3s on it. And yes, they got some mud on them. First time for everything I guess. This combine has never seen mud in its life. A moist gopher hill is as close as its ever gotten before.

Wud'ya think Oso? Should we try to grow this funny looking crop next year?

Thanks to many here that have stated their settings for corn so that I could steal some ideas where to start. Ended up with about 420 rotor, 930 fan, about #4 concaves, vanes in medium, front helical concave blocked, second helical small wire open, and third concave swapped to a large wire I had sitting around. I figured I'd try the old Harvest services fixed air foil chaffer again after many years of sitting in the shed. Shoe set about 3/8".

Thanks for looking and being patient as I learn these new crops.

Any questions or comments welcome.

Thanks again.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)