AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gift Ideas for One Year Old Girl
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

tigger
Posted 10/13/2009 07:51 (#882583)
Subject: Gift Ideas for One Year Old Girl

Iowa
I need to get a birthday gift for a one year old girl, an urban relative three generations removed from the farm.  She is a bright and socialable child and probably has everything she needs.  I'd like to get her something that provides a connection to her rural roots (the real world).  One thing I've noticed, even with people who've grown up on a farm and moved away is how quickly many seem to become out of touch with all that makes their sheltered lives in suburbia possible.  The gift does not have to be farm related (I got her a nice stuffed pig earlier), but maybe something that will teach her about why putting a square peg in a round hole does not work.  Somethng that would teach about how things really work in a real, physical sense would be good.  This is a family of Ivy League MBAs, so they are not often directly exposed to that sort of learning. <grin> Any ideas?  I'm very much out of touch with little girl stuff.  

Edited by tigger 10/13/2009 08:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in WI
Posted 10/13/2009 08:47 (#882658 - in reply to #882583)
Subject: RE: Gift Ideas for One Year Old Girl

Embarrass WI

At age One it won't make a lick of difference. IMO, 4 or 5 years old is soon enough to worry about making a farm connection.

I'd worry more about reinforcing the significance of ag with the parents. That will rub off on the kid.

Von WC Ohio
Posted 10/13/2009 08:53 (#882663 - in reply to #882583)

Anything to influence and make a positive association with Ag. The more positive type real world lessons/impressions can begin in about a year.

These are nice what youngster does not like to rock back and forth.

I bought one of these for my niece when she was about that age and she loved it. Helped make a positive influence too even though she has a farm background. 

I did a Google search though and most links seem to be UK so I'm not sure if it's still available in the US or not.

It's a Little Tikes soft rocking cow.

Edited by Von WC Ohio 10/13/2009 08:55

(Little tike cow.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Little tike cow.jpg (16KB - 416 downloads)
bharzman
Posted 10/13/2009 09:24 (#882699 - in reply to #882663)
Subject: Re: Gift Ideas for One Year Old Girl

North Central Kansas
we have one of those, but ahorse
our 2 year old loves it
stands up on and rocks it like a bucking horse. The thing jumps up and down off the floor it is silly to watch her
bharzman
Posted 10/13/2009 09:25 (#882702 - in reply to #882583)

North Central Kansas
what about starting a cd for the little one for college? we do that with our girls, more of a savings acct though. All birthday and christmas $$ goes there for college or least later teens life
sodbuster_06
Posted 10/13/2009 10:56 (#882772 - in reply to #882583)

Not to early for her to learn that a vacuum cleaner is actually an approprite birthday present.
amsunshine
Posted 10/13/2009 18:04 (#883122 - in reply to #882772)

Blooming where I am planted!

And a gutter cleaning kit to you too!!  Tongue out

Boy that is the one job I sure like less and less every year.  Dirty and lots of climbing up and down on a ladder that can be really unstable (especially when you're boxed in an awkward position between the bushes on the front landscaping rocks).  No, I'm not the type to get up on the roof and walk around.  Afraid of heights and not graceful to boot.  Ugh.

I like Von's suggestion of the rocking cow.  That is just precious.

Edited by amsunshine 10/13/2009 18:07
Von WC Ohio
Posted 10/13/2009 20:42 (#883328 - in reply to #883122)

You need to get one of these gutter cleaning tools so you can stay on the ground.

http://www.smarthome.com/31262/Gutter-Cleaner-Wand-Rain-Gutter-Cleaning-Device-58582/p.aspx

However you will probably need your Morton Salt girl rain gearSmile as they pretty much insure that the person on the ground gets wet too. The one that fits in my power washer pretty much gets everything wet including me.

Maybe look into some gutter guards too. Some have a fine mesh that water filters through. Others have a wrap around design that allows water to siphon in to the gutter but keeps the debris washed off.

PS  Did my email get through a couple days ago ? I had some ISP trouble getting it to send and sent it out twice.

Edited by Von WC Ohio 10/13/2009 20:44

(leaf-solution-gutter-guards.jpg)

(47.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments leaf-solution-gutter-guards.jpg (22KB - 543 downloads)
Attachments 47.jpg (74KB - 550 downloads)
WesterOne
Posted 10/13/2009 21:26 (#883388 - in reply to #882583)

Canmore Ab. Canada
Tigger, I think a jack-knife would meet most of your objectives but I suppose that is out??? Dan...
farmboy99
Posted 10/14/2009 18:26 (#884589 - in reply to #882583)

SE South Dakota
I guess a couple of childrens books about the farm/ farm life that her parents could read to her. See has all the toys she needs, I'l bet. If she was a boy those "Johnnie Tractor" books from the John Deere dealerships would be great. Maybe she would like them as well.

My wife is a school teacher and she gives books to young kids all the time.

Jim J
Von WC Ohio
Posted 10/14/2009 20:08 (#884719 - in reply to #884589)

Those books are great ideas too ! 

That also made me remember there are some pretty good kids videos about farm stuff too.

Chris Fesko has a whole series of Videos here:

http://www.fesko.com/order.html

Another really good one is "Tractors Combines and Things on the Grow"

http://www.cottonsjourney.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=52

A short video clip of it is here:

http://extension.usu.edu/aitc/teachers/movies/tractors_combines.html

Another one by the same folks is "Tractors Cotton Pickers and the stuff kids Wear". Both are very good at illustrating where food and clothing comes from in an informative way for young children. Even if they don't understand the words they will want to watch it again and again.

These were produced in 94 and 95 by just our size videos on VHS tape. Not sure if they are still being produced or are available on DVD or not. Only contact info. on the video sleeve is 1-800-808-FARM

Both of these are about 30 minutes long

Edited by Von WC Ohio 10/14/2009 20:10
tigger
Posted 10/14/2009 22:48 (#885067 - in reply to #882583)

Iowa
Thanks for the help.  I'm leaning towards some of the books or DVD type things unless I can find something that would be good hands on experience for her.  Building blocks or tinker toy type things that are safe would be very good. Some of the books/DVDs could be very helpful in a year or two.  After that, we can start to get into basic tools and work our way up to some quality power tools followed by a mig welder and a plasma cutter for her 16th birthday.  No, I'll have to save the plasma cutter and welder for myself.  She will probably be limitted to the 110 volt wire welder given the residential wiring.  If I don't get her some of this stuff, who will?  I don't want her to grow up to be helpless you know.:

Edited by tigger 10/15/2009 13:04
Hayinhere
Posted 10/15/2009 00:53 (#885226 - in reply to #885067)

Central NE
no question about it: Baby Einstien Old Macdonald video. kids love it.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)