AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wire feed welders again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 12/18/2006 11:29 (#75296 - in reply to #75215)
Subject: Yes, I have

Wyoming

Yes, I've looked into rotary phase converters, especially when I was looking at surplus 3-phase compressors. I ended up finding an acceptable new 1-ph, two-stage compressor about a year ago and that sorta took the wind out from underneath the project. I needed reliable shop air, I solved that problem by hopping on a sale of a Porter-Cable compressor at Amazon, where they not only gave me $250 off the new price, they shipped it for free (another $200 to my credit) and I said "OK, a new two-stage 15 CFM for $600? That's cheap enough for me..." and suddenly, no more fire under my butt for 3-phase.

That coffee-grinder welder in Ed's picture would be (in my limited welding experience) the cat's meow for a shop stick welder, and was the second strong reason for wanting 3 phase power in the shop. Those big old motor/generator welders are really hard to beat for simplicity and weld quality, and they appeal to my luddite anti-modern-EE agenda for farm equipment. Without the compressor project to push the 3-ph converter along tho, the priority dropped to the back of the "wish list" of big projects.

Gimme electrical stuff that is big, heavy, old and has survived for 50+ years and I'm a much happier farmer and EE than this new-fangled electronic whizbang stuff. Anything with LED's on it makes me not want to pay for it to be in our shop -- so when I look at Ed's welding setup there, I say "Oh yea... that's what I'm talkin' about..."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)