AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Belt meters for JD drill, are they worth looking at?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmer-chad
Posted 5/28/2009 20:00 (#726098)
Subject: Belt meters for JD drill, are they worth looking at?

North east Illinois
Hey guys, we run a JD 1530 15' 15" drill with the regular fluted seed meters, and also have a Agri-tronix population monitor, but have a really hard time getting accurate readings because of the fluted meter dropping random amounts. Read about the S-I belt metering system, does it seem to really improve accuracy and work reliably ? Especially with these new expensive bean seed coming down the pike, can't afford to " accidentally" put on an extra 20 or 30,000 pop per acre. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mike SE IL
Posted 5/28/2009 20:43 (#726147 - in reply to #726098)
Subject: RE: Belt meters for JD drill, are they worth looking at?

The SI belt meters will give you exactly the population you want, but ... everyone has a but ... they will not handle large beans.  If your seed supplier can provide small seed beans you'll be OK.  If they have a good year and produce large seed  beans you'll be in trouble.

covenanthay
Posted 5/28/2009 20:43 (#726148 - in reply to #726098)
Subject: Re: Belt meters for JD drill, are they worth looking at?

Ohio
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/pdf/jdseeding/drilltalks-fluted-meter...
Gunner
Posted 5/28/2009 21:57 (#726256 - in reply to #726098)

Modena, Wisconsin

I ran a JD 750 with SI meters and would not run a drill without them.  As long as your seed size is within the window you will have an accurate population.  If you get bigger seed you can have problems and if you are smaller than the book suggest you can have double drops.  Within the suggested size you set the population with the sprockets and you will be at that population.  Our checks usually put us with 500 per acre.

Gunner

stripper
Posted 5/28/2009 22:12 (#726286 - in reply to #726098)

NorthCentral Illinois
Put a scale on the box have an Agtronics on mine. Can dial in the population with that. About the same cost as belt meters.
jmiller
Posted 5/28/2009 23:42 (#726410 - in reply to #726098)

West central Ohio
Would not own a soybean drill without them. Set the pop and go. Don't need to mess with scales. Have monitor on my drill and flute feeds did not feed evenly between rows. Watch large seed though. I tell my seed dealer if he wants my seed business, I need small to medium size seed lots. Have to watch seed for foreign objects. Had mine on 750 since second year the meters were out. 600 acres a year. Replaced belts once (mostly from foreign objects, [bolt and nut] ) .
tking1958
Posted 5/29/2009 05:57 (#726520 - in reply to #726098)

Northern Ohio
worth every penny. we are on our 4th year with them on a great plains drill, we can run from 2500 ct beans to 3500 ct beans with no problems. use plenty of graffitt and you won't have any problems.
iseedit
Posted 5/29/2009 06:51 (#726538 - in reply to #726098)

central - east central Minnesota -
As the posters have made clear, they are worth it. A couple comments pertaining to bean counts . . .                             The belts are designed to handle seed sizes between 2000 - 4000 seeds/lb. They are pretty accurate, I find within 1000 seeds/acre of what the book says. What will throw them off in accuracy is seed size vaiances within the bag, from what the bag/tag gives as the average size in the bag. Example, bag tag indicates average seed size 2550 - well to come up with that size, in that bag, there may well be beans in the 2000 lb range and beans in the 3000 lb range - this will throw off its accuracy some. A season ago there were instances where the seed size stated on the bag were way out of range, there were many larger beans (1750 - 1900 sized beans) within that average seeds/lb range. This really hurt setting the population and tore up a belt or two. (more graphit was needed and wasn't really the solution). Of the 4 yrs I've used them on my JD750 drill, this was the only time I had issues, needless to say.  They will pay for themselves with the higher priced seed.
TEE
Posted 5/29/2009 10:39 (#726737 - in reply to #726538)

How do the meters work when planting wheat, or can wheat even be planted with the meters?
Gunner
Posted 5/29/2009 19:05 (#727039 - in reply to #726737)

Modena, Wisconsin

I have never planted wheat but according to the book they are suppose to plant wheat and oats.

Gunner

TEE
Posted 5/29/2009 19:37 (#727063 - in reply to #727039)

Thanks Gunner. It sounds like a good system for beans, and I was just curious about how it would do in wheat. I have a 750 and thought about putting them on. I also plant wheat with this drill and was just wanting some input while the subject came up here.
farmer-chad
Posted 5/29/2009 19:52 (#727073 - in reply to #726098)

North east Illinois
thanks for the input, I'm going to look into the idea for next year. I should have asked this in my first post but how well are the belt units sealed to keep dust and dirt/ moisture out, I would think they would have to be kept clean. Thanks
iseedit
Posted 5/29/2009 21:05 (#727126 - in reply to #727063)
Subject: Re: They plant wheat and oats. . .

They can plant wheat and oats, but they seem to plant it on the heavy side. The seeding rate off the meters need to be calibrated according to the book or instructions you get with the meters. I have a scale on my drill also, so I can get closer to how much wheat or oats are being dumped down the seed tube. Trashy seed doesn't work, take my advice . . .

iseedit
Posted 5/29/2009 21:07 (#727129 - in reply to #727073)

The belts meters are not water tight  .. . . if rain drips down the seed box and around the bottom of the feed mech, seed will get wet . . .

ehoff
Posted 5/29/2009 22:25 (#727210 - in reply to #727129)

Central Missouri
I have them on 2 750's. I wouldn't go back. The reason I put them on was that I was tired of having a 30% variance from row to row in population. They plant wheat very well but like most drills the wheat chart doesn't match the actual output. The John Deere chart posted above is a bunch of JD propoganda boloney. The accuracy of the belt meters is so much better than the fluted feed. Well worth the money. Row to row variance is gone and my monitor counts them accurately now.
TEE
Posted 5/30/2009 08:56 (#727469 - in reply to #727210)

Thanks for the info guys, first hand experience is way better than any type of brochure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)