AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow Size and Profitability (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/6/2009 20:13 (#952795 - in reply to #952754)
Subject: RE: Cow Size and Profitability - some of their calves (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Roy,

I agree the picture angle or something makes them both look a bit smaller and lighter than in real life. If you take a look at my grazing etc post below this one there are some more pictures from different angles. I use a Tru-test scale and Cattlemax to keep track of these things. It does point out looks can be deceiving.

Here are two pictures of some calves from today. I give them a bucket of grain as a gentling/training tool. They are not on creep nor do they get a significant amount of grain so far. They have some good hay in their weaning pasture. They will get shifted to standing corn when I make the switch in a couple weeks. I have a feeling there is some good beef coming.

I will be selling the larger of the two. I'm trying to decide what is the most profitable way to do that. I was thinking of selling her as a bred cow or pair next summer before the grazing slows. I would like to see her calf from my T21 bull in the spring.

Shes bred now and preg checked for late March calving. What/when do you suggest as the best way to sell her? Recently the sale barn markets for any sort of cattle in WI are very low. Especially when you are selling just one. She's #1 on my sell list though.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 12/6/2009 20:33

(IMG_2366_1.JPG)

(IMG_2369_2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2366_1.JPG (92KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2369_2.JPG (92KB - 107 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)