AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What if .... AGCO had kept the Allis Chalmers Brand going ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

blackfarmer2
Posted 1/21/2021 10:51 (#8769243 - in reply to #8768877)
Subject: RE: What if .... AGCO had kept the Allis Chalmers Brand going ?

ihmanky - 1/21/2021 09:11

Which brings the question as to what is a "good" dealer network for someone showing back up on the scene now?  15 years ago maybe it could be done, but now with mega-dealer chains covering 2-3 states under one ownership umbrella I don't know if you can make a go of it.  Maybe, just maybe that's what's needed though... Get three or four dealers across a state, under individual ownership, would keep them competitive on their pricing on equipment, parts and labor instead of holding the monopoly on the color within reasonable distance... As it is now these dealers are counting on brand loyalty instead of competition, they own all the dealers that you can afford to haul a piece of machinery to, and they don't worry about the "other" guys' pricing, as they count on you willing to pay a little more to keep your underwear the same color.  

I think if someone hit the scene with a popular name from back in the 70's/early 80's, and strictly offered machines from 50-150 HP, with bar axles, lever-controlled 3 point hitches and hydraulics, limited electronics and a decent warranty at about 25% less or more than the big guys, they could make a go of it in any area that isn't strictly mile after mile of row crop.  I'm not saying build and sell a 1978 model tractor, but pretty close.  Style them similar, make the open stations available with a canopy on the rops, and the cab models don't have to be fancy, but make them much quieter than they were then, an air seat and cold a/c and most folks wouldn't care that they didn't have fingertip hydraulic controls or a "command arm"... 

I think most customers want the nice features buying new. deere does offer the D and E series, should fit the bill.

Edited by blackfarmer2 1/21/2021 14:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)