AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4830 JD sprayer.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Licensed to kill
Posted 1/20/2021 21:51 (#8768271 - in reply to #8767915)
Subject: RE: 4830 JD sprayer.

Northern Alberta
My 2012 4830 has 540,000 acres on it and it has been a great machine for me. I don't find it heavy on the rear but rather, it's light on the front. By that i mean that the rear weight is about the same or less than most other, mostly much bigger machines nowadays. The comment about the planetaries is valid, sort of. If you run the oil level as indicated on the hub plate, yes you will over heat them and they will fail prematurely. However, if you lower the oil level as suggested they are pretty good. Both of my rear hubs failed on warranty and then we were told to lower the oil level. At the new prescribed level, the oil runs 20 degree C lower. I got 400,000 acres out of those ones and one failed when the seal went and by the time i finished the field and found the leak, the planetary was pooched. The other old one was running about 5-7 degree warmer than the new one so I just changed it out. At .02 per acre per hub, that's pretty cheap IMO. I rebuilt my scissors at about 400,000 acres. The biggest thing to watch for is the driveline. Most of them had welded "weights" on the inside of the driveshaft yokes and this welding would weaken the cast (DUH) and they would fly apart. If you get one, check the yokes (both ends) and if there is ANYTHING welded to them, change them for ones with no welding. I personally have no desire to run any other make/model of sprayer and if the time comes when mine becomes a problem child, I will buy another. BTW, hydraulic hoses rubbing through is a problem but can be easily mitigated by inspecting each one and protecting anywhere that they look like they can rub with a piece of rad hose or some such. Everywhere there is a loop/clamp around the hose needs to be protected. BTW, the new planetaries that were installed on my machine have the oil level indicator moved to the proper level.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)