AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips and tricks to remove stuck JD injectors big 12 point nut
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 1/9/2021 11:54 (#8736690 - in reply to #8731085)
Subject: RE: Tips and tricks to remove stuck JD injectors big 12 point nut

Faunsdale, AL
Well I decided to stop monkeying around with the injectors and finish getting the engine torn down to see what I’ve got to work with.

It was locked up as I remembered and the cause was no oil flow. Cam gear that drives oil pump was stripped. So if you ever have one of these old engines that suddenly looses oil pressure and your tachometer is suddenly dead, it’s probably the gear. And it’s an easy thing to confirm by removing the tach drive housing. We had never done that, just swapped it for a spare engine and went on.

The engine seems to be original, crankshaft bearings are from 1975 and crankshaft is still standard. The worst rod bearing had just begun to extrude so the crank should clean up without turning it down excessively. I suppose it could be cracked, but I doubt it. Hoping for the best!

Anyway, I’ve got another 6030 head with 6 injectors that we had put on the 5020 about 20 years ago. I’ll try getting them out, but if they don’t come, I may swap that head to this rebuilt engine, injectors and all. Also there seem to be plenty of core injectors available I could have rebuilt if I have to torch some or all of these. The Bosch pump is going to shop for calibration and fixing the stuck rack. It caused a runaway when it was on the engine that replaced this one. Turbocharger seems to be fine, no mud daubers that I can see.

I’ll try to get everything to the machine shop next week and start totaling up what this old 5020/6030 is going to cost me!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)