AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to consider when buying a TV and DVD player
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 6/8/2009 15:37 (#737104 - in reply to #735908)
Subject: RE: What to consider when buying a TV and DVD player

Grand Rapids, MI

For LCD TV's there are a ton of brands out there. I personally buy based on specs and user reviews. Online sites like newegg.com are great for checking user reviews. I bought a 47" LCD around Christmas for about $700 plus $100 shipping. Here is a pretty nice one on Tiger Direct: http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4600040&CatId=3650

For DVD player, it depends on what you want.  If you don't want to go blu-ray right away because of the cost, I would just buy a cheapie.  I have a tough time telling the difference in picture between my Sams Club $35 special and the $125 one.  Audio is a different story, you will have to spend a bit if you are looking for multi-channel surround sound.

As I do with computers, and even more so with electronics, I wouldn't buy too much for the future, as prices are likely on the cutting edge stuff is sure to drop fairly fast.  For example, if you think you will perhaps use Blu-ray in a year or so, but not now, there is no sense in buying a blu-ray player.  Buy a standard player now for $40, then buy a blu-ray player in a year when it is $100 less in price.

If you are thinking about mounting it on the wall use http://www.monoprice.com for your mounts, they will be 25% the cost of your local store for the same or better quality mount.  I have bought several from them if you have questions.  They are also good for cables.  Cables are the biggest rip off at Big Box type stores.  If you need a lot of cabling, let me know.  I have all sorts of cable I picked up from a high end stereo/TV shop that went under.  I have or can make you almost anything you are likely to need.

Edited by lorenk 6/8/2009 15:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)