AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RV Memories (Part 2)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Funacres Daughter
Posted 1/22/2019 23:23 (#7265450)
Subject: RV Memories (Part 2)

Texas

Find Part 1 Here:  https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=830470&mid=725...

While Dad was delighted with the motor coach, Mom was slightly disappointed that it was not as clean as expected, and I was still mourning being downgraded to a fold-out couch. However, Dad continued to promote the positives - it would already be warm (or cool) when we got to an RV Park, we could pull a more maneuverable vehicle behind it (Jeep instead of dual-wheeled pickup), it was easier to set up in the RV parks and even had electric jacks. Additionally, it had truck tires instead of those skinny little “may-pop” trailer tires, we could get food out of the fridge while traveling or take a nap, this was SO much better than the trailer!

Mom and I eventually adjusted, and we had some fun as well as more hindsight humorous stories.

I occasionally got to sit in the passenger seat, but I was primarily sitting in the back and playing hostess to my parents’ latest food request. Also, I was frequently answering the “What was that?” question while closing the drawers that slid open and picking items up off the floor and catching them while they slid up and down the hall. At least I was getting a little of my “The Long Long Trailer” wish!

I found the motor coach to be geared more toward a couple than a family. Also, I still missed having my own bedroom, but I did have a couple of desirably placed cabinets dedicated to my stuff, so that helped.

My fold-out couch bed was on the motor coach’s only slide-out. The slide-out had to be opened before the bed could be made up. This would not seem like an issue, but the RV hookups were located under the slide-out. This meant that Dad wanted to hook up the RV before the slide-out was opened. On the few occasions that he attempted to hook it up after the slide-out was opened, he usually ended up with a bump on the top of his head.

That was not the only issue with the slide-out. The non-refrigerated snacks and Dad’s Rolaids were stored in cabinets that just happened to be blocked when the slide-out was closed. On a few occasions I remember trying to balance on a chair, while removing the screen and opening the slide-out window that was in front of the cabinets, and then trying to get the cabinet open far enough to squeeze my hand in and retrieve an item - all while we were going down the highway. Eventually, we remembered to leave those cabinets empty.

There was a rocking, swiveling, oversized recliner (it should have been replaced) that served as my primary seating option. With every curve it would spin around and either slam into the wall or the counter. As if that wasn’t enough, the roof air-conditioning was directly above this chair and with every increase or decrease in speed water would drip through the roof and onto me. At first I thought the chair and water were funny, but eventually it just became irritating.

On a few occasions our routine went like this: We are 10 minutes away from RV park checkout time. The slide out is in, the RV is disconnected, the vehicle is hitched and in tow mode, the tv antenna has been lowered, everything is off of the counters, and 3 of the 4 electric jacks have retracted. Did you catch the problem?

Everything was fixable, but after awhile a comment Mom and I heard was: “If I had a high quality motor coach instead of this flimsy fiberglass thing…..fill in latest issue.” So we knew that the current motor coach’s days as ours were numbered.

If you continue to find my RV Memories posts interesting, please let me know; and I will post the final and funniest (only in hindsight) memories.

Edited by Funacres Daughter 1/22/2019 23:24

(fullsizeoutput_e2a (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fullsizeoutput_e2a (full).jpeg (89KB - 70 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)