AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will any of these new pickups go good in the mud?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tmrand
Posted 11/15/2018 08:29 (#7106835)
Subject: Will any of these new pickups go good in the mud?

Southeast Colorado
I think I'm going to trade off my 2014 1/2 ton Ram. It has been an OK pickup but one of it's biggest drawbacks is it's ability to go off road in the mud. It does pretty good on our graveled county roads when they are muddy but turn off in a field road and it is horrible. I think I'd almost do better in a 2 wheel drive older pickup. I shut off the traction control but it still can't go. It cuts power to the engine or something and just runs out of oomph.

I visited with my son who works in the oil field about it because he's had several new pickups over the last few years. He hates them all but has never had a ford. He says that they put really aggressive tires on them and then treat them like they don't own them (because they don't). He says that about the only way to get through muddy spots is to floor it before you get to the mud hole and don't take your foot off the gas! I feed cows with a round bale unrolling trailer and I don't see that plan working out so good. LOL!

Anyway..........just wondering about other folks experiences. I'd really like to stay with a half ton for the ride and gas mileage as this will be my daily driver. I've got a couple of other bigger pickups for heavy towing. Possibly the 3/4 tons have better 4 wheel drive systems but I kind of doubt it?? I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't be better off to go searching for an older but well taken care of pickup and just pay a premium for it. But I'm pretty sure that is much easier said than done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)