AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Big Reset underway..?? Corn to $2.. Beans to $6. When does it hit input prices?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 10/28/2018 09:27 (#7069733 - in reply to #7069565)
Subject: RE: Not much equity burn yet for crop guys

SEON
dpilot83 - 10/28/2018 08:15

Brown Cow - 10/27/2018 23:51

Isn’t that what we’re all doing, though?

No. It's not what I'm doing.

It may be a business I enjoy (at least sometimes) but it is a business to me, not a hobby. If it doesn't make money and I can't see a way to make it long enough until the next time I can make money, I'm sorry, I'm out.

That mentality drives my decisions. It tells me to plant corn when historically this area grew wheat. It tells me to harvest my own crops when historically we hired it done. It tells me to store my grain when historically we took it to town. It tells me to buy tools instead of hire my mechanic work done. It tells me to use those tools in a 60 year old Quonset instead of a new insulated shop. It tells me to work all day most every day whereas if I had a job in town I would take weekends and holidays off.

I struggle to be a low cost producer to increase the odds that I can weather the low yielding or low price years (I don't believe we have experienced the low price years yet by the way).

If I get to a point where I don't see a chance to turn a profit on rented ground, I'm out. My business puts food on the table for my family. I don't love the "hobby" enough to keep doing it unsuccessfully.

You're whining is getting old. You talk as though you're the only one that's worked on a dirt floor. Guys that don't have land payments are hobby farmers. Guys with town jobs are hobby farmers. Everyone is a hobby farmer except you. You're the one that decided to farm. Maybe you should have got an Engineering degree or learned a trade instead of chasing the easy money. As you said tenant farmers can walk away if things get tough. If a farmer loses a multi generation farm he might be staring suicide in the face. I see you're running a S67 with 533 sep hrs. Stop whining.

Edited by rank 10/28/2018 10:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)