AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some ration help please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Cache Creek
Posted 9/25/2018 16:29 (#7008427 - in reply to #7008328)
Subject: RE: Some ration help please

Thanks for your time. He rents out his stalks to locals around him, says he gets top dollar and doesn’t lift a finger all winter. He likes that. I’ve told him many times he needs to sell his cows so we can both quit losing money. That said, we have a long time relationship where his money is always good and I do the best job I can for him. He’s never hesitated to cover extra expenses if needed like last winter that was so cold for way too long.

A normal mature stock cow, I agree, doesn’t need much more than grass hay, in fact that’s all we’ve ever done here and why I don’t have other kinds of feed equipment, however, he likes to buy big cows in the 1500# and up range and those hogs never get filled up. My good hay only needs an energy supplement, but I can sell this hay for $100/ton, or about $75/ bale. His cows eat about a 1500# bale/month. Add yardage and you can see $85/month, times 7 months is $600. Now I want my pasture rent next summer too. Not much left in profit.

I’d like to find a ration that’s economical for him using his $3 corn and alfalfa and my cheaper hay that helps keep us both in business. I have long time hay customers needing my better quality stuff and I just don’t have enough of it this year. Too wet and not enough good hay days.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)