AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got the calves home. pictures to prove it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wurtzy
Posted 9/25/2018 08:29 (#7007594 - in reply to #7006769)
Subject: RE: Got the calves home. pictures to prove it

Valley, NE
so to answer a few things:
Yeah, I have one steer that doesn't like me and the kids and hangs back a little bit, the other ones are so bath water tame that they don't mind him. It is a good mix of steers and heifers out of my Simmental/Angus cows, we'll calve about 70 this next February. We AI everything through the chute at least once then clean up with a couple bulls split into separate groups in smaller pastures. So usually after 4 weeks, we have a majority of our calves on the ground, that helps keeps an even group. We do have our stragglers like anyone else and our few dinks of the group, they just seem to hide behind the good ones in these pictures....lol. I'm pretty satisfied with how they have come along with the up and down winter they came into last year. We'll background them until 600lbs or the end of the year and move them down the road before the next set start calving.

If you think Cameron is big and tall for 7, you should see our 12 year old Nora. She's already wearing my size 12 muck boots and has passed everyone in the family except me and her mom and my father inlaw. We expect her to be about 6'3-6'4 when she's all done growing. Below is a picture of Nora, my wife Jessica(6'2), and me (6'3).

For Imperial Wagyu, I'm the Cattle Production Manager. my roll is purchasing calves and the logistics of getting them from the farm to the feedlot to the harvest. We solely purchase F-1 cross calves out of registered black Wagyu sires back on Angus base commercial cows. We typically like to purchase calves 45-60 days weaned and preconditioned and under 12 months of age. Then we take them all the way out to 27 months of age to finish, its a different art of feeding these cattle versus conventional, but the eating experience is pretty superb at the end of the line.

Edited by wurtzy 9/25/2018 08:31

(jes.me.nora (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jes.me.nora (full).jpg (163KB - 60 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)