AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

George the bull
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/24/2018 08:20 (#7005668)
Subject: George the bull

Driftless SW Wisconsin

One of my young grandsons and I were out in the Ranger checking on my older cow group yesterday and opening up more grass for them. They're always curious as to what we are doing and the group came right up to us. This group of about 25 cows has two bulls in with them, one yearling Hereford bull (far upper LH corner of the pic) and my Fleckvieh bull whose registered name is S/M Density D092 but another grandson named him just "George".

George is looking pretty good, even at the end of the breeding season. He had an abcess on one hoof right at bull-in time in July but with some good vet work seems to have fully recovered. It will be interesting to compare the calves next spring, and which bull got more cows bred.

I'm a bit up in the air about future bull plans but I really like this guy and his calves. I did get at least one horned calf this spring out of one of my older, non homozygous polled cows but I like his disposition and his ability to keep condition even when I'm pushing them to really cleanup available grass this time of year. They get nothing but grass. His steers look just like him.

Here's a pic of George from yesterday.

Edited by Jim 9/24/2018 09:11

(IMG088 George the Fleckvieh bull 092318 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG088 George the Fleckvieh bull 092318 (full).jpg (160KB - 76 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)