AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me decide how to feed my hammer mill.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Corn/Stock
Posted 7/27/2018 11:09 (#6895751 - in reply to #6895703)
Subject: RE: Help me decide how to feed my hammer mill.

Cost gets your upfront attention on projects, but before adding a cone bin with a 6" auger to feed my mill I was doing what you are considering. I would load up a wagon of corn setup the auger to the mill and away I went. An electric mill runs smooth when being fed a consistent flow, but bunch corn up or slow it down and it will spike your amps and trip your breakers. I'm only single phase, 3 phase would make this better, but not an option.

As we grew and more rolled corn was needed, setting up and tearing down became a chore so I went and found a used 3300 buschell cone bin. Had a crane come set it down on my trailer and followed me home and set it back up on the pad. Now I fill the bin full and when the bay runs short, flip 2 switches and have only tripped the breaker once since going this route, vs every load with the wagon to the auger. Never fails, corn quits running, open the door a little bit and whoosh, down it comes and a slug of corn at the mill. If going this route I would recommend a pto powered unit as it would take the corn away from the semi fast and he can be on his way again. I didn't want the tractor to deal with I guess which is why I went electric.

Also, allows you to buy corn when cheap and a little more room at harvest. Used 8 yards of concrete, bin cost 2500 bucks on a sale, came with the 6" auger and motor and crane rental plus labor was about 1.5 a bushel, but now it's handy vs dreaded
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)