AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are these?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 7/3/2018 21:37 (#6849129 - in reply to #6849042)
Subject: RE: What are these?

North of London
I said I would post what I thought they were associated with today.
Did not get back to take a better pic of the jaws.
There is a slight ability for one jaw to slide open a bit with a spring on it.
They make me think they would lock onto a chain which could be pulled through and kept tight

Now you mention what I associated them with is a 'bundle' of old slings which were used to lift the sheaves of grain into the mow where they were stored until a threshing unit came along later to thresh the grain out.
What was known as barn threshing.
I am old enough to remember a gang of very dirty men coming into the house to eat. What I remember being the threshing gang since a large number of neighbours traded labour to run the threshing machine.

So I was not old enough to remember the actual work and how it was done but there was a couple slings in the old barn when we tore it down.
They were a bunch of wooden slats held together by several chains
i believe they were laid out on the wagon rack and then wrapped around a bundle of sheaves to hoist them into the mow where they were stacked to await the thresher.
Now I can not tell you if the chains would work in those jaws or not.
Should have kept the slings I guess.

But that is a long way to say I agree that they may have been used with slings.
Was hoping someone else could confirm what I suspected so you seem to have a similar suspicion to mine.

BTW I will have to look again but can not think of how they would work to tighten fence.
We always used a block and tackle type fence stretcher.
Think I can come up with the old system but may not have a rope in it any longer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)