AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Okay Trump administration.. you got your trade war.. What's USDA's response?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Iowegian
Posted 7/2/2018 20:30 (#6847077 - in reply to #6846315)
Subject: RE: Okay Trump administration.. you got your trade war.. What's USDA's response?

Just my take.

Trump will take care of farmers for the following reason:

1. Sonny Purdue already said they were going to.
2. The politics of winning a trade war mandate that he keeps his power base satisfied. Trump is President b/c rural US supported Him.
3. Trump plans on winning the trade war.
4. There are many Senators up for re-election this fall and Trump cannot afford to lose the Senate. If he does, he faces no more court confirmation or any other kind of confirmation for that matter. Races that will determine the Senate include: Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, and Tennessee. He might also face impeachment.
5. I suspect that Trump wants to see if the Chinese, Canadians, the EU, etc, are going to make better trade deals or commit economic suicide. This likely needs to to play-out to the very end so the leaders in those countries have as much politic cover from their constituents as possible for the inevitable. Trump is right. We are getting screwed by the rest of the world. Trump has the leverage b/c of that.
6. Something will give here if we just ignore it while this plays out. Due to impending elections, I doubt we will have to wait much longer for trade deals to be made or for crop subsidies or something worthwhile to come our way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)