AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you Southerner's handle this heat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 6/30/2018 22:03 (#6843400 - in reply to #6842606)
Subject: RE: How do you Southerner's handle this heat?

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

As others have mentioned, air conditioning in everything makes us soft. Used to hoe cotton in June and July in these temps. Never had a tractor with a cab until I was in my late teens. In fact, they didn't even have fenders or a canopy. Wear a big hat, light, loose fitting, breathable clothes, keep plenty of fluids in you, and don't push too hard. Listen to your body and take a break when you need to.

I didn't used to sweat much. Then I lived "up north" for 20 years. It destroyed my heat tolerance. Been back in the South (God's country :-) for about 10 years now. I now sweat with the best of them. Worked outside from about 4 to 7:30 pm this afternoon. When I came in I had to peel my clothes off because they were so wet. When I was a kid I didn't sweat that much even during summer basketball practice.

I am always amused when people talk about how hot it is and they are wearing spandex with a lot of skin showing. Nothing is much hotter than direct sunlight on exposed skin, not to mention the skin cancer effects. If you want to know how to dress to beat the heat notice how people dress who live in the desert. The Arabs and Bedouins cover themselves from head to toe with something that is loose and breathable.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)