AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Father"s Day....Top farming things I wish dad could've experienced
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Old#7
Posted 6/17/2018 07:39 (#6816935)
Subject: Father"s Day....Top farming things I wish dad could've experienced

N.C. IA
On this Father's Day, I reminisce thinking about all the advances that have made farming easier or less back breaking. I'm kind of a private person, but I will tell you it has been almost 30 since he checked out. Some of these things were around then, but just a wish down on the list because of climbing out of the farm crisis.

In no particular order...

The electronics, lightbars, autosteer, yield monitors, etc.

Tractors with tight turning FWA, roomy quiet cabs, and big power

Dependable big capacity combines, did I say dependable?

Grain carts

GMO crops, chemical resistance aside, corn borers, and rootworm were really starting to hammer corn production back then

Powersweeps, heck how about intermediate sumps even?

Cordless power tools like often discussed here on NAT

Big square or round balers with net wrap. No livestock now, but used to put up a couple thousand small squares years ago

Yields like we've had, I remember my uncle asking me if I thought we would ever see 200 bu corn again after the '92 crop. I said you bet, he said "I don't think so". Heck, I never dreamed we would have soybeans with field averages well into the 70's either

Cell phones, no more shagging a vehicle somewhere in case you break down, just call someone

The internet with sites like this to ask for help, source parts, find used machinery. Absolutely amazing this tool we take for granted

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to add yours

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)