AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Top Producer Came Today IFF Again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

redfarm
Posted 4/13/2009 00:18 (#678445 - in reply to #678367)
Subject: Re: Top Producer Came Today IFF Again- Limiting Competition?

N. IL
Glad to see the posts... I read the article this morning before going to church. I had a hard time concentrating on the Easter sermon, was still trying to figure out the FF project.

Seems to me that $28/acre one-time payment to buy off the other BTO's would be a good deal. I wonder what landlords, especially farm managers think of the anti-competitive behavior. Competition is what drives rents up, locking out the competition puts a lid on them.

The thing that drives me nuts about this magazine is that they blankly recommend rapid expansion and cutting costs. A latter article in this issue talks about 10 costs NOT to cut in lean times. Seems like many of the recommendations favored their advertisers, i.e. consultants & input suppliers.

I enjoy the sharp edge of the magazine. You can tell who their target is- Wanna-Be Large Farmers. The big ones already figured out how to get the land. You will never find that answer in a magazine. I will continue to read it, along with all the other free magazines with differing perspectives. Decide for yourself if you need to expand, don't let a magazine editor scare you into a bad opportunity.

Like the rest of you, I am always looking for efficiency and maximizing our resources. Don't get hung up on the acres. Look for good sustainable opportunities that will grow your operation for the long-term and give you a nice retirement if you want it. The acre count is just a number, no matter how many it is you have to get it all farmed.

Unless they can control the weather, it is still a fairly level playing field.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)