AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fire Update.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 4/19/2018 07:01 (#6718811)
Subject: Fire Update.......

Southeast Colorado
Well first off.........the well wishes below really does help. BIG thanks!

We lost 6 outbuildings but somehow the house is still there. We had two other rental type houses that we've not had renters in for a few years that are gone. The shop is gone but we've got a second that made it. My mom lost her house and barn/everything at her place. Luckily she had just bought a house in town 6 months ago and was about 25% moved into it.

We have no power because there are lines down everywhere and lots of poles to replace. The power company is kicking butt and making repairs so it probably won't be but a week or so there. Luckily our daughter lives in town so we are coming in here and sleeping.

We are being overwhelmed with help but I'm almost too scatter brained to know how to utilize it. I think we've found all the cattle but haven't gotten a good count. We had several bags of corn burn the bags off. Yesterday was spent putting fires out in the corn. Lots of smoldering. Not sure how we're going to get that picked up right now and it's a dilemma. We might try and get tarps to cover since "in a very ironic way" it's supposed to rain this weekend for the first time in almost 200 days. If anyone knows of tarps or has any suggestions I'm all ears on this one. We vacuumed up a bag last year after an accident and it was slow and took forever. With about 40k bushel exposed now it almost seems impossible.

We lost a bunch of equipment and all of our hay stack but those are concerns for another day. We are going to sell all the calves and cull the cows hard and find a place to just put the cows in to a lot. We fall calve so most of the babies are big. Several dead cattle around but I don't think they are ours.

Hard to even imagine at this stage farming this season. May rent the farm to a neighbor. I'm sure we'll do something but some stuff is insured and some not. We'll be OK but it has definitely changed my long term outlook. To what I'm not sure but once we get the immediate "Have to" stuff done we've got some serious decisions to make.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. This definitely feels like family (and in some instances better than) on this site. We all share the same passion and goals farm related. And I also urge you to carry on talking markets. I like seeing the regular posts and felt bad for slowing this page down for a day with my previous comments. Carry on!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
swkscornfarmer
Posted 4/19/2018 07:05 (#6718828 - in reply to #6718811)
Subject: RE: Fire Update.......

finney county, ks
Glad to hear from you that things are a little better than thought! Wish I was closer to help you plant some crops for you or something. The corn in the bags I had one split this spring see if someone has a wheel loader and use that goes a lot faster than a vac. Will keep you in our prayers!
catsrush
Posted 4/19/2018 09:18 (#6719140 - in reply to #6718828)

Wcks
This has to seem overwhelming. I'm hoping neighbors can pitch in
He'll have wind erosion to address, the grain exposed to the elements, livestock fencing/water, the list is endless, last year helping with stopping things from blowing was our easy way to help out.
foxchasefarms
Posted 4/19/2018 07:09 (#6718836 - in reply to #6718811)

Sounds like you have a great perspective...may God grant you grace to walk thru this one day ata time...
Erik in SD
Posted 4/19/2018 07:09 (#6718837 - in reply to #6718811)

East Central SD
Thanks for the update. I wish I was closer, id help you any way I could.
stevr13
Posted 4/19/2018 07:12 (#6718847 - in reply to #6718811)

Northeast Iowa
It may be hard to do, but try to find the silver lining. You should get an insurance payment, and think of it as a second chance to do things a little differently.

Get the tractor with front wheel assist, 25 more HP. Better doors, better size, better locations on replacement buildings. Things like that. You'll never have everything the way it was, but ya know....when life gives you lemons

Good luck with your endeavors and major life adjustment here, it'll be hard to stay positive. I'm thinking of you and all your neighbors dealing with this difficulty.
sandhillsam
Posted 4/19/2018 07:20 (#6718877 - in reply to #6718847)

NW Oklahoma

Todd,
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Pray the rains come out your way. Take pictures of your losses. They will be needed in insurance claims. Include pictures of pasture fences, if they were burned. Have to have them for government cost share coverage. Glad you and your family made it through. Everything else can be eventually replace. God Bless you and yours.

Buck S
Posted 4/19/2018 07:24 (#6718885 - in reply to #6718877)

McLeod County, MN
sandhillsam - 4/19/2018 06:20

Todd,
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Pray the rains come out your way. Take pictures of your losses. They will be needed in insurance claims. Include pictures of pasture fences, if they were burned. Have to have them for government cost share coverage. Glad you and your family made it through. Everything else can be eventually replace. God Bless you and yours.

^^^^^

TAKE PICTURES!!!!! LOTS OF THEM, and VIDEOS!!! I deal with insurance companies on storm loss claims for my "other" job. You will need lots of documentation of your loss. Always best to overwhelm them with pictures and videos. If there is no proof or questionable proof they tend to get real stubborn when it comes to payment.
JonSCKs
Posted 4/19/2018 08:01 (#6718976 - in reply to #6718885)
Subject: Yes.

Document EVERYTHING as much as possible..  You can not take too many pic's.

Hang in there.

caseihfan
Posted 4/19/2018 07:18 (#6718872 - in reply to #6718811)

ncsd
Good to hear not all was lost. I'd second the wheel loader idea. I'd also say don't make any long term decisions until things get back to "normal". Do what has to be done for awhile and get back on your feet then decide where you want to go without panic or emotion pushing you somewhere you wouldn't normally go. Best of luck and kelp up the good fight.
Buck S
Posted 4/19/2018 07:20 (#6718879 - in reply to #6718811)

McLeod County, MN
I cant even fathom what that type of disaster would feel like. Best of luck to you. Surely some good things will come from all of this at some point.
dpilot83
Posted 4/19/2018 07:29 (#6718902 - in reply to #6718811)

On the bags, if it were me I would attempt the following (if there is no wind today).

1. Get some used bags and unroll them as close to the corn pile as you can

2. Drag the bag over the top of the pile

3. Take a loader and get some dirt and dump dirt on the edges of the bag strategically to hold the bags down. Do as little as you can to save time and to make it easier to get the bag off later.

Picking a line of grain up off the ground is not fun but not impossible. Haven't read all of your update yet but wanted to throw this in here while I had time.

If you need used bags that will unroll decent I might be able to find a way to get some down to you.

Worst problem with that plan is that the used bags will have holes in them here and there so then you'll have to decide what to patch and how much time you have to patch it.

I guess if it's smoldering it might starve it for air and stop the smoldering or it might light another bag on fire...
dpilot83
Posted 4/19/2018 07:38 (#6718925 - in reply to #6718902)

Sent you an email about the bags....
rab1964
Posted 4/19/2018 07:45 (#6718940 - in reply to #6718811)

I guess if it was me I wouldn't get terribly concerned about the corn, not gonna be the end of the world with a little rain. Loader would be the quickest way to pick up the majority up and vac up the rest. Good luck with everything, hopefully you guys get some rain.
dpilot83
Posted 4/19/2018 07:56 (#6718965 - in reply to #6718940)

I wonder that as well. On a pile that would certainly be true. But his pile is likely 5' tall, 18' wide at the base and 300' long. Probably has 5 such piles.

Spread out like that there is a lot more surface area per bushel of grain. 2" of rain? Hard to say how that works. I have no experience.
rab1964
Posted 4/19/2018 08:06 (#6718990 - in reply to #6718965)

I don't either, with a small area like that. Not saying it's ideal but probably more important things to worry about at this point. Hopefully Todd has good insurance and they take care of the majority of it. Still a lot of unnecessary work. It sucks for sure, ironic that after this long you finally get rain. Or alledged rain at this point!
Maizeing
Posted 4/19/2018 10:47 (#6719324 - in reply to #6718940)

Ontario's middle east
First off glad to you and family are ok. Things will get better. Wish I could help more but maybe this will help a little. Agree with Roger unless you get massive rain it probably wont drive moisture up in corn materially. Basis should be decent there to a feed lot that won't care much about moisture, board has improved dramatically and seems to be hesitant on further gains. Don't sweat it and find a new home for it next week or 2. Good luck and God bless.
Luckyfarmer
Posted 4/19/2018 22:12 (#6720499 - in reply to #6718940)

Central South Dakota
If your co-op or someone around had a sudenga pile loader you could rent or borrow, I would keep it lifted off the bottom of the bags a bit, turn the spout off to the side and start loading trucks while driving straight down the exposed pile. The bottom of the bags are going to be a bunch of scoop shovel and small loader work.

Second option would be to check with your insurance, if the bags burned, maybe they would pay for a recovery company to come in and pick up and recondition the grain and get it bagged again.

Good luck to you and your family.
Rod Maker
Posted 4/25/2018 16:11 (#6730165 - in reply to #6720499)

Westport, IN
First check with insurance.
I've seen times where two neighbors had wind damage. One neighbor did a bunch of work helping, cleaning up ect.
Second didn't do a thing but call. Insurance paid both for the pro to work, but got nothing for his effort. Yes he could have turned in a bill, but since he wasn't a pro, insurance didn't pay squat on his labor.
Deere6
Posted 4/19/2018 07:49 (#6718952 - in reply to #6718811)

Best of luck TM.
kagen
Posted 4/19/2018 07:57 (#6718967 - in reply to #6718811)

Panhandle of Ne.
Todd, thanks for the update. Just take your time on what to do. Renting to your neighbor might take a load off of you for this year. That will give you some time to replace the machinery you lost. I'm sure that along with your wife you can make a good plan. Hug your family a little extra when you get a chance.

God bless y'all.
dogg4585
Posted 4/19/2018 08:00 (#6718973 - in reply to #6718811)

sc ks
I assume you have some neighbors like me....young, ambitious/dumb,over equipped and happy for custom work to help pay for their foolish endeavors that could put your crops in this year while you take stock of the situation.....if not I have a spare 16R 1720 I can put on a trailer and send your way. Good luck.
Earl butz
Posted 4/19/2018 08:07 (#6718993 - in reply to #6718811)

Central iowa
Glad to hear things might not have been as bad as could've been. Still sounds awfully tough. Hard as it will be sounds like a good idea to rent it out, so you can methodically rebuild if you chose.
thereaper
Posted 4/19/2018 08:28 (#6719043 - in reply to #6718811)

Ol’ Wisco
Sorry for your loss. Tough blow to take anytime, especially this time of year. My thought and prayers are with you. You folks in the West are tough as a square drive nail.

For what it’s worth, we had a shed fire about a month and a half ago. When my phone rang at 3 AM and I saw it was my Mom my heart fell out of my chest. My initial thought was “Something happened to Dad!” When she told me one of the sheds was on fire I came to a realization then that it only holds things, and the best things in life, well they aren’t things.

Squeeze your family a little tighter tonight. It helps ease the pain from all the bruises.

God bless
mafrif
Posted 4/19/2018 08:37 (#6719065 - in reply to #6718811)

NC Iowa

Glad everyone is OK.  Like you said when terrible things happen it can change your perspective on things.  Best of luck  getting everything cleaned up and settled with insurance.

frank l
Posted 4/19/2018 08:48 (#6719081 - in reply to #6718811)

nc nebraska butte
Sorry to hear.
Far as corn goes ,might be a good time to get rid of it.If you got somewhere to go and people willing to help and your buyer might be more forgiving on their grading.

Like tiger said below ,don't turn down help .Don't let the corn set for long a few neighbors and trucks in a couple days it would all be cleaned up.Few would ever want paid under the circumstances.

Edited by frank l 4/19/2018 09:07
roarintiger1
Posted 4/19/2018 08:56 (#6719089 - in reply to #6719081)

NW Ohio
Todd, First, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just my word of advice is to accept all the help that comes your way. People want to help in any way they can.
Conan the Farmer
Posted 4/19/2018 09:05 (#6719112 - in reply to #6718811)
Subject: Thanks for the Update

South Central Iowa
That's pretty fortunate that your house survived, good deal! Sorry about your mother's home though.

Pvafarm
Posted 4/19/2018 09:08 (#6719116 - in reply to #6718811)

Southeast WI
Thanks for the update. My heart dropped when I read your post the other day. It seems almost unimaginable that things like this can still happen. Days will run into weeks and you will work through all of this. Tough to imagine now I know. Take care and be safe.
dt4020
Posted 4/19/2018 09:59 (#6719237 - in reply to #6719116)

Fairbury, NE (Southeast)
So great that no one was injured sounds like your cattle made it through good too. On the corn in the bags my theory would to get a root grapple and pull out all the plastic just load the corn up and be done with it. Using a modified bucket you would be amazed how fast you can load corn.

As for renting things out, certainly an option. A happy medium may be just to have the coop spray and someone plant. Then you can decide what you want to do and might be up for harvest.

Edited by dt4020 4/19/2018 13:05
1466driver
Posted 4/19/2018 10:09 (#6719249 - in reply to #6719116)

Interstate 35 North ia
Thanks for the update . As dry as your air is I don't think a little rain will hurt your corn much but you could buy a couple rolls of painters plastic that should cover your corn . Throw some dirt on the edges and it should stay put for a while . Wishing you good luck in your cleanup and rebuilding process .
Joelt
Posted 4/19/2018 10:28 (#6719279 - in reply to #6718811)

perryton, tx
Wonderful country we live in, isn't it? Glad to hear you and yours are ok. On the flip side sorry for all the destruction. I'd say Mother Nature owes us (especially you and others affected by the fires) one big time.
IN555
Posted 4/19/2018 10:43 (#6719318 - in reply to #6718811)

NW Indiana
Glad you are ok. As tough as it may seem now, everything will work out in the end. Hopefully you get a good rain this weekend, the corn will be fine if you can get it hauled out soon. Best of luck.
H3f
Posted 4/19/2018 10:54 (#6719340 - in reply to #6718811)

Thanks for the update. Best wishes going forward. Glad to hear your house survived, suspect there are a lot of mementos that would be impossible to replace. Hopefully your mom had moved the right 25%. Glad your mom was not home.

Glad to hear the cows survived.

I think renting your farm to your neighbor sounds like a good plan. I would see if you could do it on a piece by piece basis or have some custom farmed. That way may give you a little more time to better evaluate your situation. Remember you already have a extra job - cleanup. I would also think a sabbatical would give you more time to plan.

Check with your insurance company on the corn. It may not be worth your time depending on the insurance. I think it would be tough to know if all the smouldering grain is completely extinguished. It may be best to deliver to a feedlot and have it gone. Its possible any lost value may be the insurance company's loss, not yours.

Unfortunately, you will now find out exactly how your insurance works. I have asked why should I include some machinery pieces where the value is close or below the deductible. The answer is it ups the overall value in a catastrophe like this.

I am sure you are busy, but think we would all appreciate updates as you have time.
IN555
Posted 4/19/2018 11:17 (#6719379 - in reply to #6719340)

NW Indiana
Thinking about it I would have it custom farmed. I'm sure you already have the money lined up, inputs bought, possibly grain sold and don't forget about tax implications from carrying over grain or prepay inputs etc. Hire someone to do the work(I'm sure a neighbor would love to help) and run the business like it was you in the tractor.
paul the original
Posted 4/19/2018 12:00 (#6719464 - in reply to #6718811)

southern MN
Don't know words that can help just stumble over the keys with nothing coming out but certainly thinking of you and those around you.

Certainly makes a person think about ones own situation and where or how one would be.

Thanks for the updates, I've been following.

Paul
BOGTROTTER
Posted 4/19/2018 12:23 (#6719505 - in reply to #6719464)

Kingston,Mi
Relatively cheap and durable tarps from used bill board advertising covers. Here in Michigan they appear on Craigslist, neighbor bought a bunch from our local Amish when he was having his buildings reroofed as a precaution. 14 by 48 ft., $50 each, 10 by 22 ft. $30 each in bundles of 8. The ad was in materials.
greenbine
Posted 4/19/2018 13:51 (#6719642 - in reply to #6719505)

Neighbor w/ empty bins? Or just load & haul to an end user? I know it’s not that simple but where there is a will there is a way. Feel for you & the others in that area, no fire here (tribune) but they had a bad one in Weskan, KS.

here to help if you need anything..
DC swIL
Posted 4/19/2018 15:24 (#6719737 - in reply to #6718811)

I didn't see yesterday's post but good grief that must have been terrifying! Thank God you and your family are alright. We had a small house fire in 1992 and that was awful. I'm glad your home is ok but what you have experienced sounds much worse. I (and I'd guess 99% of those reading here) can't really comprehend what a wild fire would be like. The power that it had and the inability to really do a whole lot to control it.

Just don't make any major decisions too quickly. You are still in a state of shock and it will take awhile to assess everything. Praying for you Todd.
mutt
Posted 4/19/2018 21:38 (#6720411 - in reply to #6718811)

nw kansas
Sorry to hear it was that bad, can’t imagine.
Archery dog
Posted 4/19/2018 22:38 (#6720556 - in reply to #6720411)

Schochoh Ky
Glad the house survived . You have a place to lay your head down and rest. Hopefully some local neighbors will help, wish we here could help a little . My prayers are with you tonight.Locals use a track hoe to pick up piles of corn.Keep your chin up and blessing will come from this . Our trusses arrived today to replace our tornado destroyed barns, and our Mexican h2a employees arrive tomorrow, so things are looking up for us , have faith in yourself and the Lord above , he will see you through this time.God Bless
tmrand
Posted 4/20/2018 01:56 (#6720663 - in reply to #6718811)
Subject: Another update.

Southeast Colorado
Another busy day in the aftermath. This damn corn deal is kicking our butt. Pretty sure we'll win but am not positive. We've pumped quite a bit of water into the edges along with digging the blackened stuff out and new smoldering flare ups keep appearing. Local elevator is willing to take it and blend it off to help us out but not until the fire is out. Rain coming in supposedly tomorrow and I guess we'll see what happens. May have to let it get wetter and then see what we have. Local coop will also help us with tarps if that still is on the table tomorrow. I see there is a steady 40 mph wind for the next 24 hours so that should really help! LOL There is no insurance I'm aware of on this corn so I can't help but be worried. Neighbors are helping me sort through this but not sure how this will play out.

I hate that it is occupying so much time when other things need to be happening. Another really good neighbor showed up to gather some of our wandering calves and haul them to the sale barn tomorrow. Wouldn't you know they had disappeared?? We were able to finally locate them over in the edge of KS tonight and got them penned up and ready for transport tomorrow morning. Glad to have that deal about over. Also had some folks come in and feed our cow herd because all of their pasture burned up. We've actually got a little bit of irrigated wheat that we can turn them into as soon as we rectify this corn problem.

The power company kicked butt and got our electricity on today! Unbelievably hard working folks and with their equipment............ can make what seems impossible happen in mere hours. We have a few burned out electric meters that we'll have to fix but that's on our side and we'll deal with it when we can. At least the power and water is on in our house.

Haven't had much sleep but for some reason I'm not tired anyway. Exhausted.............but not tired. Weird huh? Never have had so many things going on to juggle at once. Feeding and watering cattle..............with no feed or water. Watching all of your collateral turn to dust and wondering how the bills will be paid?? Pondering why your "former city girl" wife ever signed up for this? (She's had a couple of melt downs but is handling it really better than anyone can imagine) The list goes on and on. Yet somehow being able to realize that it can all disappear tomorrow and............so what?? We've still got our health and we can move one. I've realized for a long time that life is about attitude and vow to not let this set back get me down.

I want to end this with telling you folks how much I really appreciate you. I don't watch the email close but my wife has shown me several personal messages that you have sent. Your outpouring of support really keeps us going. It is so strange to drive a few miles around a corner and find areas that are not affected at all. Here you are living an almost surreal moment in time and realize it's just another day for most folks. Funny thing is........... I'm not complaining at all and want them to go on living their lives. I think I'm understanding it more every day. God only puts on you what you can handle and I maybe needed this test. You folks are walking me through this a day at a time and I truly am grateful. I get to read these posts late at night and early the next morning. It ends my day right and starts the next day off with the will power I need. Thank y'all very much!
dpilot83
Posted 4/20/2018 02:35 (#6720665 - in reply to #6720663)
Subject: RE: Another update.

Crazy thought...

Probably no merrit.

What happens if you re-bag it right now? Payloader to fill a cart. Cart fills bagger. As long as it's not hot enough to melt the new bag, lack of oxygen kills the smoldering...
wildcat1000
Posted 4/20/2018 05:50 (#6720718 - in reply to #6720663)

C IL
My crop insurance covers stored corn. You might investigate.

WIJDW
Posted 4/20/2018 07:07 (#6720849 - in reply to #6720718)

Great to hear you've got the electricity back. It is amazing how fast they can get new poles up. Hope that means you can return home which should help and it's a nice to have a home base to coordinate out of.
Think you're getting some good advice, hope some of it can be applied to actually help. I'm too dumb to offer any under such unimaginable circumstances. Calves knew to get out of Colorado for a while. So good to hear most if not all your cattle survived.
Keep strong.
roush9799
Posted 4/20/2018 12:48 (#6721335 - in reply to #6720849)

West Central IL

I thought it would be covered under crop or hail ins.  Didn't it cover to first destination, and now I think it even covers it to the first destination and then to the elevator as well.  Would have to look into it, but that's how I thought I heard it at one of the meetings.

H3f
Posted 4/20/2018 08:52 (#6721045 - in reply to #6720663)

From http://www.farmfutures.com/blogs-risk-management-3092

"If you are storing half a million bushels of corn on your farm, at $6/bushel you have $3 million of value sitting there at risk. Many times a farm blanket policy is covering $1M - $1.5M, and it's supposed to cover all farm personal property – equipment, grain, chemicals, livestock - anything that's not a building falls under this category."
"most companies assume grain is covered on your blanket farm policy"

Check with your insurance agent and company if you haven't already.  Slight chance it may be covered under crop or hail insurance.  May also have ins dollars for some of the cleanup.  I have done things on my own that I later learned would have been covered.

John Burns
Posted 4/21/2018 19:30 (#6723318 - in reply to #6718811)
Subject: Cotton module tarps

Pittsburg, Kansas

Cotton module tarps might be of benefit to cover your corn. They are shaped such that I think they would be the right width to cover bagged corn. A cotton gin might know of some as they will not be in use till cotton harvest.

Just an idea.

Good luck.

John

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)