AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seriously thinking of making a change
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bdsjake
Posted 4/6/2009 14:22 (#671026 - in reply to #670155)
Subject: RE: Seriously thinking of making a change

Salisbury, Missouri
finally, a post I can contribute to instead of just lurking...but I got to be in court in a few minutes!! I guess I have done the opposite, grew up on a farm, went to college then law school, guess I wanted to see the "rest of the world" (grass is always greener...), didn't think there was room on the farm, etc., now practicing for 15 years wife and I are working on moving back. I hope to practice at least part time and farm with my dad until he wants to retire. Let's see.

try to keep debt low

make sure you know what an MBA or JD does before committing the time and money

lawyers do many different types of things...I've found a couple I like doing but much of what lawyers do I could not do long term, a lot of it is just not very fun paperwork (not unlike being on a tractor 16 hours a day, part of the job but not exciting, haha)

do you want to make a decent living or a lot of money?

do you want to live in a rural area or urban area?

go to medical school for less headaches and better living

do you get along with others? I found I get along better with myself so I am a solo practitioner.

do you mind getting your "hands dirty" as a lawyer (pun intended), if a solo in a small town you probably have to do a lot of things, like divorce work, criminal defense.

the specialties, like IP, would be great I guess, but hard to break into. Might have to work for a "Big firm" but then you probably be representing Monsanto, etc, not what I will call "real people" that is farmers.

my email is in profile, write if you want. or ask me what I can expound on here...got to run...good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)