AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great Lakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 3/30/2009 22:15 (#662863 - in reply to #661071)
Subject: RE: Great Lakes

Thumb of Michigan
Been lots of great ideas so far. I'll reiterate and add some others:

1. I get a kick out watching boats go through the Soo Locks. Its quite an engineering marvel. Building bigger locks in a few years right next to the current ones, but they can squeeze 1000 footers through right now. There's a ship museum a few blocks from the locks, that's pretty neat.

2. I suppose everyone should see Mackinaw Island once. May as well head over the straights and back just to say you did. I think its still the largest suspension bridge in the world. For sure the largest in Michigan.

3. Grand Marais and Paradise are both really nice places to see Lake Superior at. As Dave mentioned, the museum at Paradise in very informative.

4. There's waterfalls all over the UP, Taquaminoms (sp?) the biggest. Probably the most famous as well.

5. Munising is very close to the Pictured rocks, Ed suggested you take a boat ride to see them. No argument here. Also, take a boat ride out to Grand Island while you're at it. Lot of history there. Its not really a trip to Munising unless you stop to eat at the Dogpatch. VERY touristy and they don't apologize about it either. But the foods good and if you get there on a buffet night, you'll really like it. If Marcy's working, tell her Pat and Karen said Hi. Also, there's alot of little falls around Munising to see.

6. Big Bay has some very nice scenery. You may see them loading ore or taconite onto ships in Marquette, just depends on their schedule. Little ship museum down by the docks there as well.

7. Over towards L'Anse, Henry Ford had a sawmill to make wood parts for Model T's. The town and Sawmill are still there, open for tours.

8. My BIL and his family live just south of Houghton/ Hancock. They have 10 months of winter and 2 months of crappy sledding up there. They love it, it would drive me nuts. But anyway, head up to Copper Harbor. Doesn't really matter, but we generally head up the west side. Eagle Harbor is just drop dead really nice country. Brockway Mountain up near Copper Harbor is neat, but I haven't been up on it in quite a few years. On the way back down, we always go to the Gay Bar. Really. Look at any map of that peninsula , you'll be able to easily find it.

9. Go to Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains. You'll think you're in Colorado or something.

10. If you happen to get down to the "Banana Belt" (that's between Manistique and Escanaba on Lake Michigan) go almost all the way down the Garden Peninsula. There's a state park in Fayette. Old iron smelting village that's getting restored as a museum. Lots of very interesting stuff to see there. Also if you do happen to get down that way, Big Springs - or Kitchitipipi- near Cooks is a must see. Darndest thing I've ever seen as far as springs go.

11. There will be many, many chances to tour mines. Both copper and iron ore. I guess I'd recommend that you take a tour on a real hot day at one of them, it'll give you some relief from the heat. I have no recommendations about one mine being better than the other.

12. Contrary to popular belief, there is some agriculture in the UP. Garden raises quite a few row crops, and you'll see corn and sometimes soy's around Bark River. Matter of fact, first IH Case Quad tracks (2 of them) I ever laid eyes on were working around Bark River. And lots of spring grains and hay. And Holsteins too. Menominee County also has a lot of ag stuff going on. If the paper industry picks back up, you will see an awful lot of really big trucks with many axles, and if you're lucky you can see some Ponzi's working in the woods. Awesome piece of iron.

Have fun, and don't get caught speeding in Alger county. They like taking money from fast out of state drivers. If I think of anything else, I'll post it. The above ideas should get you through the first dayLaughing
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)