AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This is scary!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sand85
Posted 3/17/2009 22:10 (#647837 - in reply to #645062)
Subject: RE: This is scary!

C IL

I viewed this video with much interest.  It definitely gives some perspective on how the electronics/telecom industries generated so much wealth in the last 10 years.

I, too, feel the world is changing quickly. It seems that since I entered college the technology rules have been vastly changed.  How does one learn 'technology etiquette'?  What is appropriate use of IM/email when someone walks into your office unannounced and sits down for a meeting?  Same with cell phones when you're out and about talking with folks.  Lots of differences between social use and business use, but you can't always tell when you receive the message.  While the rules of the 'social contract' have always changed (I don't particularly know the nuances of using calling cards), the rate of that change seems to be accelerating due to this technology.  The biggest problem I have faced is setting appropriate limits on use and communicating them to my friends and business contacts so they understand that I am not ignoring them (either electronically or in person) when I either take or don't take that phone call/IM/immediately drop what I'm doing to talk.  And updating those limits as technology/my job and availability change.

Perhaps the most interesting thought I took away from the video was the shift in information paradigms, as far as information decentralization and information gathering along with making that information valuable.

When I began school and we did a report, I used the (written) encyclopedia.  Then we got MS Encarta (electronic).  Then the web, then wikipedia.  When I went to college, no one really cared about the physical library.  We could access the latest information in our field via online journals (the same ones in print in the library).  Voila - getting to information no longer required being physically at someone's treasure trove of old books.  Amazing!

At the same time, the proliferation of electronics made information gathering more information easy and cheap (ex: online commodity charts going way back, electronic rainfall gauges and radar rainfall estimates).  Again, amazing!  It seems that gathering up the money to do these things is relatively easy (and we've been doing it).

And, I think we (collectively) are still advancing in bringing the human capital to bear to make that information valuable.  Not so much in trying to outguess the markets, because people are trying to outguess on both sides, and that changes the rules of the game.  Maybe a better example is the folks doing flood predictions.  They have a pretty good guess on rainfall from radar images.  They have a decent idea about terrain from satellite data.  They can measure river elevations and cross-section velocities.  Really amazing stuff!  Now how would you have done that 10-20-30 years ago?  And with these abilities, what is possible with plant genetics? human disease?

Now keep in my I'm a grad student, but it seems to me that 30 years ago a student might spend 90% of his time collecting data and 10% analyzing it.  Now a student spends 30% of his time collecting data and 70% analyzing it.  With similar trends in R&D across a variety of disciplines (medicine/natural resources/manufacturing technologies) it seems really leverage our human capital and maybe explains in some ways the rapid advances we've seen.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)