AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Last year's baleage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/2/2017 22:14 (#6342445)
Subject: Last year's baleage

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Today I cut into a partial row of mixed grass and clover baleage cut baled and wrapped VERY wet last summer. These bales were so wet I could hardly lift them up and set on my neighbor's Anderson inline wrapped.  My neighbor told me he would put some extra plastic on them and they would probably be ok even though very wet.

As it turned out I didn't need all of this this row last winter and have had my fingers crossed all summer wondering what I was going to find when I did open the remaining 5x5.5 ft bales.  This is the first baleage I am using this fall - actually using it as a lure to get a group of cows and calves into a corral paddock ahead of the good size (for me anyway) group getting their regular fall vet workup/pm tomorrow.

After I got through the end bale, from the third bale on this stuff looks and smells great with little to no spoilage.  A pleasant surprise since I've never carried wrapped bales or baleage over to a second winter.  Here are a couple pics.

Also here's an interesting short piece from Drovers I found in my email today on safely grazing cover crops and alfalfa around a freeze.

Edited by Jim 11/2/2017 22:17

(IMG027 1.5 year old baleage wrapped very wet w lots of plastic 110217.jpg)

(IMG028 1.5 year old baleage wrapped very wet w lots of plastic 110217.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG027 1.5 year old baleage wrapped very wet w lots of plastic 110217.jpg (125KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments IMG028 1.5 year old baleage wrapped very wet w lots of plastic 110217.jpg (153KB - 36 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)