AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mac laptops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Posted 2/27/2009 19:36 (#625487 - in reply to #624884)
Subject: Re: Mac laptops

Wow RodRod ! Didn't know there's EVER been a virus corrupt a Mac. Probably wrong, just haven't heard about it.

Any of the latest Macs can be booted as a purely Windows machine via BootCamp at least as fast, probably faster than a comparable PC. Don't know why you would. There's a couple of cheap aps (<$100) that let you run Windows side by side with Mac OS, so you could go ahead and run what you've got on your new Mac.

I AM RUNNING WINDOWS because INTUIT decided market share dictated that Mac users don't need payroll in-house on QuickBooks. (Course while I was making the switch an Intuit tech told me they are writing a version for Mac release because of new market-share numbers !) Also, I wanted to see what I've been missing for 25 years. Well.... I ain't gonna go there out of respect for a lot of friends on here running Windows just fine ! But I am amazed at how many pop-ups I get running QuickBooks for Windows 2009 while I'm just tryin to do my work; and I haven't had to read hierarchical addresses since the late 80's.

IF YOU BUY A MAC, you will be challenged to get as comfortable with it as you currently are your Windows machine. I believe your biggest discomfort will be thinking "surely it's not that easy, there must be more to it" because I've had just the opposite difficulty learning Windows of thinking "surely it's not that hard, I must be missing some easier way".

The difference is not the machine, it's the operating systems. Gates made Windows wide open so as to allow anyone to build on it, thus it's popularity for the masses. Mac has chosen to keep theirs closed to maintain a more secure, dependable and friendly interface.

My wife had to call me home because the screen froze in QB 2009 for Windows (done it twice in 2.5 months). After all these years of Macs, she thought that was ridiculous. Even if an application crashes on a Mac, the operating system does not, you just reload the ap... and this is extremely rare.

Something you can't do is have emoticons, because of the closed system. So you'll have to sacrifice this, viruses, spyware and crashes if you buy one. But you'll still get to see Windows cool icon open in a window on your desktop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)