AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are you going to do different next year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

vickruse
Posted 8/26/2017 17:10 (#6211614 - in reply to #6211268)
Subject: RE: What are you going to do different next year?

SE Iowa
wahlfarms - 8/26/2017 12:53

We have been using conventional corn the last 4 years. Your not giving up any yield. In most cases it has out yielded smart Stax corn every time. Just have to handle it different. We run starter in our planter already so I just put in insecticide in furrow and have yet to have any bug issues. Keep in mind this is 4 year COC also. Our conventional seed still has the genetics just not traited. I have out yielded my trained corn even in plot tests running the conventional we run. At $100 a unit it could yield 5 bushel less and still be ahead because of the price point.
Like I said it has worked for us. May not be for everyone but so far we have been happy.
If I had a planter to put on insecticide in the row, conventional corn would be a huge cost savings for coc acres. After all that is what we did before traited corn came along. For cob acres conventional corn is the way to go unless rootworm is a problem. Conventional corn yields with traited corn every time on cob acres unless corn borer or rootworm problems develop. Traited corn protects yield, it does not increase it. Big cost savings is owning your own sprayer. I pay through the nose for chemicals for hiring my spraying done thru local elevator. Probably could save 40% right there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)