AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I reading something wrong?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 8/24/2017 16:59 (#6207968 - in reply to #6207820)
Subject: Crop rated on a curve....

Fontanelle, IA
Dana,

GPA doesnt mean crap in the real word. A cool head and a seasoned gut feel gives you the true mileage....

Using a class analogy that is graded on a curve - the top grade (aka top end yield) is just that - the top. Our little area will have some good yields but top end is plain not there. How many kids in class score the top? Very few... That is why we hated them. The rest of us came in somewhere between the bottom and the mean..... That was "deviation". The wider the deviation - the wider the curve - the wider the bracket range to get a B, C, D, D- ....

The top end in the prime spots can not offset the bottom yields .... The deviation is too large... Ear counts down, kernel fill shortened due to lack of rain or overcast skies (eastern cornbelt I think that read), and some pessimism about spending just another $10/ acre for something that a salesman was peddling.

Yes, I am impressed with how genetics have performed on low moisture levels. But, the class (I states) are scoring lower this year in this "test". The global curve wrecker isn't the Chinese kid in the front row ..... It's the Brazilian farm kid 3/4 the way to the back row.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)