AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought monitor vs crop moisture index
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Deere6
Posted 8/12/2017 22:09 (#6183295)
Subject: Drought monitor vs crop moisture index

These two pics explain why the drought monitor needs less attention and why maps such as crop moisture index are more accurate measure of grain production. My area of southern IL is perfect example, as well as eastern South Dakota it appears. The drought monitor shows us being normal, and thanks to 15" of rain I 2 weeks end of April and early may, our ytd rainfall is a tad above normal. Though anyone with a brain realises that 25-50% of normal precip since then in the heart of growing season is what really matters for production.
Eastern South Dakota longer term is well below normal precip levels, yet with heavy soils and good timely rains in July and now Augusts those areas in decent shape for corn and soy production.
The drought monitor is a longer term gauge and isn't always a great indicator for crops. I am in an area of 40" anual rainfall, if I received only 15" in a year you bet I would show up on that drought map. However if it came at the right time we could have our best crop ever. This is why I still believe the crop moisture index is a much more accurate indicator of crop conditions than the drought monitor because it's focus is much shorter termn.

Edited by Deere6 8/12/2017 22:13

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (57KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (64KB - 103 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)