AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Every day another REPORT.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WeaveFarmer
Posted 8/5/2017 12:53 (#6168946 - in reply to #6168855)
Subject: RE: Every day another REPORT.

Boone Co. Iowa
I agree, the condition report is certainly less than last year.

This is the time of year I get caught up with the work and can spend some time looking at numbers and part of that is putting a handle on the # of bushels I am going to harvest, store, sell, etc. I am just having a hard time putting the bushels down, and usually I have a good handle on my corn crop, AND can verify that with my neighbors. AND, can verify that with statewide conditions, etc. Just having a harder time doing that this year. I guess I am planning on the fact that the market is trading higher numbers than what I am coming up with. And, farmers being who they are, if you are growing 20-30% less than previous year, it FEELS like a disaster, but, like you say, it is not that far below trendline. And we had best crops ever here locally, last year.

Trying to do some budgeting things and putting down what the fall price is currently, rather than what I think I will get for it in 8 weeks. Just trying to figure out where and how much to fudge. This is for myself, not the bank.

Last year at this time, Corn crop was excellent, my lawn was green, sweet corn was awesome; every indicator was pointing to lots of bpa. Then we got 4-5 one inchish rains in August and knew the beans would be awesome too.

This year, was a tad wet when planting, then sometime in June stopped raining, and basically hasn't rained since. the sweet corn was pretty crappy, and the color of the corn is pretty light green, and yard has been crap most of the summer, and the beans are short. So, I know we are harvesting less, just hard to put numbers to it. AND, each time I go out and scout and pull ears and count pods on a plant, I come back with a different outlook, i.e. spotty rains and depending on area of field, much different results.

Any who, bought a third corn contract Friday to get my Dec 17 Texas hedge a little cheaper. So you can at least tell I am not sitting on the fence! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)