AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall born herd bull
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 3/26/2017 21:46 (#5925092 - in reply to #5924947)
Subject: RE: Fall born herd bull

N FLA
I have a little of everything. And nothing worth bragging on.

Bit the bullet and bought a registered red Angus bull and sold for slaughter 60 days later, 3 weeks ago, with a broken penis. This is too bad because this was the kind of bull to keep some replacements from. Quickly turned $2100 into $1400

Sent the Senepol bull to slaughter as he failed semen test. Quickly turned $2300 into $800.

That left an old Angus cross, he will be sold in a few weeks as I have had him for 5 years and kept some heifers, and my breeding season is about over.
PB Charolais
16m old beefmaster from a registered cow I bought at a herd liquidation sale.
16m old SimAngus from commercial cow and commercial bull, not happy how this one grew off. Should work for breeding sale barn cows to sell as breds.
16m old KingPin simmental AI son out of old North FL cow. I like this one. Really well adapted so far.

So far I have only preg tested 14-16m old heifers, and 2 year olds with calves. Both groups were 50% bred after 60 days. Hopefully the cows do better after 90 days. I don't have the management, right bulls, or right cows for a 60 day season. I sell about 50% of my herd in the spring, so that's OK though.

I did AI 15 cows this fall and hope for a suitable replacement bull to keep. My track record with bought bulls isn't good.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)