AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer stuffers vs. feed bunks. (Full feeding steins in Garvo style barn.)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tiger6620
Posted 3/13/2017 09:43 (#5896239 - in reply to #5895972)
Subject: RE: Steer stuffers vs. feed bunks. (Full feeding steins in Garvo style barn.)

Nw Iowa
I've always wondered the same thing. But, why stop with Holsteins? Why not beef cattle on self feeders in bedding barns or slat barns? DDG's can easily be used with cracked corn in self feeders. Cost of gain is closer than most think between the TMR method vs self feeders. I personally don't have a full time hired man and my operation is 100% my own. I don't farm with a brother....father...nephew..etc. Self feeders allow me to do other things rather than have to be home to run a feed wagon twice a day. Doctor appointments, meetings, staying in the planter or combine in the afternoon rather than shutting down to feed cattle. I farm 1800 acres row crop and some is 30 miles away. If your operation has multiple hands in the pot then that is a different thing......I really like the freedom that a self feeder allows. I'm willing to have a slightly higher cost of gain so I don't have to be home every day at a certain time to run the feed wagon. I'm also feeding 400 or less at a time so that makes a difference. I would like to hear about and see pictures of self feeders in a bedding or slat barn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)