AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Financing alternatives for beginners (Journal article)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Gonna make it
Posted 2/24/2017 20:03 (#5861365 - in reply to #5861063)
Subject: RE: Financing alternatives for beginners (Journal article)

Sd
Input costs will always vary but not nearly as much as the feeder market when one goes to sell calves. In my opinion if we reduced cow numbers we'd have less calves which one would think would raise the price for feeders. Limit supply increase demand. I believe getting back to a free market/ fair competition would help. (COOL ) another alternative to make it profitable for beginning from scratch cow/calf guys would be discontinue government payments, bailouts, subsidies altogether for row croppers who may also have cows so they can feel more like dad and grandpa back in the day. We all know from reading these articles cattle don't cash flow in the current market for beginners so creating a more equal playing field might help. This is me venting but it is impossible to compete when bidding for pasture lease against someone who made more money in a drought year than a bumper crop year because of insurance. The system is flawed and designed only for those with a family farm or rich uncle. If this post offends you maybe there's some truth to it and don't say i don't know all the hard work and sleepless nights that go into row crop farming. Worked for one. And several I know of in my area take vacations longer than harvest season. Full time construction for me rent all pasture buy hay lease facilities own equipment 45 cows. I shouldn't be in them but it's called desire
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)