AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone have a good potato soup recipe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 12/4/2016 19:42 (#5676164 - in reply to #5675641)
Subject: RE: Anyone have a good potato soup recipe

Kingston,Mi
I make potato and leek soup that has been improved with bacon.

2 pounds of boiling potatos, peeled and diced
1 pound of leeks, washed and diced
1 onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, sliced
5 cups of chicken stock
2 1/2 cups of milk
4 tablespoon of butter
I bay leaf
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
salt and pepper
1/2 cup of half and half
1/4 cup of chopped chives

Melt the butter in a large stock pot, add the vegetables and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken stock, 1/2 cup of milk, the bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Discard the bay leaf and let the soup cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer to a food processor in batches and process until smooth. (I prefer a rougher chop)
Heat the puree over medium heat and add the remaining 2 cups of milk, serve in bowls and swirl in a couple of tablespoon of half and half and garnish with chopped chives.

I made it and when tasting it, determined that bacon would be an improvement. I cut a pound of bacon into pieces about 1/4 inch in width, cook the bacon thru but not crispy. I add this before the food processor step and add the milk after the processor. I actually just replaced the milk with the half and half (rather than have a opened carton of half and half setting around) Since I don't have the chives at the time, I skip them. I use dried parsley also.

The resulting soup will be a very pale green with the chopped bacon as a accent. Very popular at a soup lunch we put on in the spring. This was a recipe from an Irish recipe site and improved by adding the bacon. Serves 8.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)