AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody have opinions on 9500 series Massey combines?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmer53
Posted 11/7/2016 08:48 (#5622969 - in reply to #5622532)
Subject: RE: Anybody have opinions on 9500 series Massey combines?

NW IL
I would ask why get the 9540? Cause its newer paint and cool?

I can honestly say that we bought our 9540 cause it was cool and farming was really profitable and good to us in 12 and 13, and to avoid the tax man a little we splurged with some new iron.

The 9695 we currently run is really no different then your 9795 except for 50HP and a little bigger sieves. The 9520 is a newer version of the 9695, still using the fieldstar threshing system. It has nothing to do with the trident system on the 9540 or 60.

My dad is getting old but still a pretty good operator and has his choice of machines every morning, and 90% of the time he gets in the 9695 with 8 row 30 inch Massey 3000 corn head or the 30' dynaflex and just cruises along. The only time he gets in the 9540 is when he or I see something we don't like and want to help fix the issue whether its settings etc.

If you are not wanting to get bigger heads I would stay with your 9795. I am not saying it will not work and I am not saying that the 9540 is not a newer classier machine, but I can promise you it will not bring in any more corn or beans out of the field as compared to what you have. As always, there is a learning curve to the 9540, or any new machine. All that you know with the 9795 does not really apply with the 9540. We spent a year or two really trying to dial it in with set points. These newer machines need adjusted all the time to do the best job. It is not a set it once when you start and drive combine. When I am in it I am always jacking with something, but thats probably just me. Rotor speed, concave clearance, fan speed, sieves, always tweaking it. I will say that I can get a cleaner sample with the 9540 then with the 9695, especially in good beans. We struggle to get the beans clean with the 9695. It just runs out of cleaning area.

I am pretty religious on grain loss and the 9695 with old massey corn head does a better job then the 9540 with series 2 drago 12. I wish I would have just gotten a old massey 12. I am probably the only one in the world who is not impressed with the drago heads. Design is cool I guess. The end rolls probably knock of as many ears as they roll up and in. We planted a lot of pioneer this year and weak shanks were prevalent and those rolls came off after one field. The knife rolls would grab the stalk, plant would lean out, roll would catch ear, ear would go flying.

Edited by farmer53 11/7/2016 08:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)