AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why is Phosphorous so Expensive?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

No soil disturbance
Posted 9/18/2016 08:31 (#5535265)
Subject: Why is Phosphorous so Expensive?

Got a 32-0-0 quote for delivery now through May for $195/ton. It has continued to drop like a rock the last month or so. One of my local suppliers says he will give me a week on the $195 to decide with the thought that it will got to $190 over the next few days and then that would be a good time to lock it in. This is as low as I can remember in years. On the other side, dry phosphorous continues to seem very expensive to me. Is it because of the lack of domestic production that P remains higher priced relative to the market than the Nitrogen? We use liquid N but use dry for all the other products, like P, K, S, Z and Chloride. We use dry because of the massive cost savings to liquid alternatives in those products. My dry P comes direct from the Port of Catoosa in Tulsa, which is all Imported P. It works because there is a lot of backhaul freight from my area back down to Eastern Ok, and NE Texas hauling Sunflower Pellets and such to the feedlots/dairies. I was quoted $388-398/ton of dry Phos which is the same price I paid for it last year. How does that work? Why is N about $60/tons cheaper than last year and P is the same price? Seems like this is typically the case? Or is the slow adjustment of P due to the smaller amounts of overall product used? I would understand if P price doesn't adjust as quickly if I were buying it from a retailer who was sitting on a dry storage building and bought it wrong and thus the lower use rate of P didn't allow for product to move as quickly, in turn not allowing him to lower price as quickly. I am coming from the wholesaler, my salesman doesn't sit on any physical product so is not trying to price average. When I call and say I need a load I have to take it. P price over the last 5 years seems to have just gotten very expensive relative to my N cost and I'm curious why? We were worried this might happen so spent from 2009-2014 dumping on Phos like crazy building our soils to high P levels and now are running maintenance levels so P costs aren't too high lately but is a question I have found interesting? Any ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)