AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New bigger combine for deere next fall?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Greg Stremel
Posted 10/20/2006 16:05 (#53752 - in reply to #53741)
Subject: Re: for what it is worth, I agree

Southwest Missouri
I understand what you are saying. Your country is different from mine. I have traveled your part of the country (my parents are from Lane County and we went back to visit relatives when I was a kid) and I realize that your roads are wide and your traffic is light.

My point is that the legal system, whether we like it or not, is also part of reality. You do not have to always stay on half of the road. You do need to be careful. There are many factors that would come into play in deciding if someone is liable for injuries. There is no way that I or anyone can predict what 12 jurors would decide. We (and I mean we, because I also move wide machines on highways) need to be as careful as possible. Some things we can control and some we can not. If I met someone on a road too narrow for us to pass, I would stop, explain that I could not back up, ask him to back up, if he did not, I would wait. I imagine that they would not wait too long.

As far as "image" is concerned, many of the older laws were written by the legislature to give farmers a break, such as wide equipment and licenses. Those are eroding as fewer in the legislature live in rural areas or represent farmers. I do not "worry" that anything I do will really change the laws. A really bad incident could spur the legislature to change something, but it is not likely to be anything I do. I worry about the civil liability. That is much more likely.

I doubt that I am convincing many people, so I will it go. Hope your harvest is going well. Our double crop soybeans will be cut next weekend. As dry as it has been here, (Southwest Missouri) they do not look too bad. We will see what ends up in the bin
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)