AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fire suppression systems for combines.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tim Cooke
Posted 10/20/2006 16:00 (#53750 - in reply to #53747)
Subject: I know one thing.

I have burned a few. More than I will admit here. (: Have had several on fire.

Don't ever, ever blast water or anything else on a combine fire. Keep the fire where it is. You don't want to be chasing it all over the combine. Bean dust has the ability to stay burning after a large amount of water has been poured on it. Direct the water or whatever near the fire so it will run down on it. If that is not possible watch which direction everything goes. That is where the next fire will be soon. Low pressure, high volume water supply is best.

If the fire department gets there before the combine is gone, make sure that the first order of business is to contain the field. Then, if they get that done, the combine if it is still around. Watched the combine first, field second one day. They almost lost a truck, tractor and house before they wised up.

For the "uneducated", if you see the wiring harnesses melting, toss your cell phone into the cab and slowly, very slowly, walk to the house to call for help. Tell the insurance company that in the excitement you forgot you had a cell phone. The cost is out of sight for replacing one and it will never be RIGHT.

Tim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)