AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is no til going away?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 6/12/2016 22:28 (#5351741 - in reply to #5350044)
Subject: RE: Is no til going away?

NW KS/ SC ID
Just my un-educated un-experienced opinion, it wont go away, but guys might have to go to a minimum till program to combat chemical resistant weeds till a solution is found.

In our area, the v-blade was popular, and is gaining in popularity again as people have to do something to combat chemical resistant weeds. The appeal of the v-blade is minimal disturbance, and maximum surface residue. it also levels critter mounds. :) so really it is a conservation tillage tool.

On our place, We no-till fall crops into last years wheat stubble, and we are on a 3 year rotation, wheat, no-till row crop, summerfallow. so basically we are full tillage on the summerfallow year to prep for the wheat, but then full no-till on the field after wheat harvest. Obviously since we till, we dont think of ourselves as no-till in any way shape or form, but I like to feel good about leaving all that stubble to catch snow. and keep the ground tied down.

I talked to a guy in NE that was practicing organic no-til, and that sounded pretty cool, but would take one heck of a commitment.

For our operation, I am trying to talk dad into using a shelbourne for the wheat to increase residue, and to try to reduce the tillage as much as we can, and possibly pursuing other ideas for weed control (flail shredder?) that wont disturb the ground, but keeps chemical use minimal.

Like everything in this world, be it farming practices, politics, etc. everyone wants a simple solution to a complex problem, but a complex problem requires a complex solution IMO. It will take a little of everything, not just one thing.

Edited by GM Guy 6/12/2016 22:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)