AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shucks, Now it's the final drive (1688)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Loren SE IA
Posted 10/17/2006 04:28 (#52302 - in reply to #51952)
Subject: Re: Shucks, Now it's the final drive (1688)

Kalona, IA
Craig, I took the frive today and got it fixed. The mechanic could not find any thing wrong with the bearings at all!! The problem was that the seal is behind the biggest most expensive bearing and he did not have a puller big enuf to fit so he torched it off :(!! That was $154 but ......... what do you do when one of the largest dealers in the area isn't entrely set up with tools. I guess normally the bearings would be shot anyhow so it wouldn't matter. The seal did have a strip of rubber hanging loose so we thought maybe a wire or something had gotten in behind the hub. Very unlikely tho.

He did say that the bearing was shimmed wrong by about .020' I think. He thot maybe had something to do with it. I was glad I let him tackle it as I didn't have the necessary press and specs. etc. In the 10+ yrs. he said he ever only worked on about 3 of the 20 series final drives. They're built much heavier then the 16 series.

Technically I could've prob. kept on going as is and adding oil but what a mess and we didn't really know. Every step in life teaches us a new experience, if we're willing to learn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)