AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till into tilled...JD750
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 10/16/2006 18:03 (#52045 - in reply to #51987)
Subject: RE: No-till into tilled...JD750 (PIC)

Tim,

I have helped set up many single disc seeders and based upon my experience I would suggest that they are not the preferred option for loose conventional conditions, especially powdery loose soils. They have heavy frame weight which is designed to no-till and its very difficult to dissipate their weight in conventional soils. What commonly happens is the rear gang gauge wheels sink into the soil and scoot soil on top of what the front gang has already seeded. This is illustrated in the photo below and (as someone has already pointed out) causes very uneven depth control.

My suggestion would be to not work the soil. If that is not an option (for different reasons), try firming before planting it - with a roller, crumbler or cultimulcher. (Firming the soil will help stop the soil scooting sideways)

Other options that will help it perform better in loose soils include (in no particular order)

1) Don't overwork the soil, leave some structure.
2) Wait for a rain or run a pivot around after tillage, before planting. This option is the preferred one.
3) Remove all weights off the drill.
4) Take off most of the down pressure. (I have even seen producers seed with a 750/1560/1590 (in very loose soils) in the "float" position with good results.

The attached photo illustrates what can happen if a no-till drill is operated in very loose conventional soils. (Note that the weights should have been removed)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)